advertisement

Leema Xone compared to Rega Ela

PhilipL

pfm Member
I am wondering how these 2 speakers would compare. I own the Ela Mk1s and like them a lot, but wonder sometimes if more modern speakers would be even better. The Xones sometimes come up at prices way below their original RRP and I have a Leema Pulse amp, so they might go well together. Anyone got experience of these speakers? Thanks.

If you scan the net the word is the Xones are bass light, prices they were a couple of grand then came down to £999 then£699 in some stores.
A modern alternative to the Regas could be the PMC GB1i or GB1

I bought a pair of Xones a couple of months ago, tempted by the low price and having heard them driven by an all Leema system (Tucana amp) at a show. They are fighting it out against my resident B&W 805S. They have been a very enjoyable listen due to the nice tweater, the speed and the transparency. The imaging and the detail and agility are quite addictive. Bass light, not really, they deliver good bass but they are maybe not full bodied. They also scale down the big dynamics, but in a nice way. I believe the Xones are a bargain if you appreciate them for what they can offer.
I have not heard the Elas but from a quick bit of research looks like they might share similar strengths. (I'd be interested to know how they compare if you find out, if the Elas come close I will definitely be on the look out for a pair for a friend).

Hi
Been thinking about having a go at a Lemma Pulse amp.
Can you tell me anything about yours, whats it like to listen to and live with.
What sources do you use with it.
I have Rega RS3 speakers so interested in what you think.
Thanks

Elas often go for well under £100, so I would just go for them for your friend! Not sure I'll be able to do a comparison with the Xones, but I am tempted.

I bought a pair of Xones a couple of months ago, tempted by the low price and having heard them driven by an all Leema system (Tucana amp) at a show. They are fighting it out against my resident B&W 805S. They have been a very enjoyable listen due to the nice tweater, the speed and the transparency. The imaging and the detail and agility are quite addictive. Bass light, not really, they deliver good bass but they are maybe not full bodied. They also scale down the big dynamics, but in a nice way. I believe the Xones are a bargain if you appreciate them for what they can offer.
I have not heard the Elas but from a quick bit of research looks like they might share similar strengths. (I'd be interested to know how they compare if you find out, if the Elas come close I will definitely be on the look out for a pair for a friend).

I bought my Pulse 1 secondhand at a good price (<£450) and am very happy with it. It originally had a hum on the headphone circuit, which Leema repaired FOC - 5 year transferable guarantee! I like the sound a lot - better than my Nait 3. It's not unlike the Nait XS. I use a Rega P3 and a Stream Magic 6. Hope this helps a bit.

Hi
Been thinking about having a go at a Lemma Pulse amp.
Can you tell me anything about yours, whats it like to listen to and live with.
What sources do you use with it.
I have Rega RS3 speakers so interested in what you think.
Thanks

Update - I just bought the Leema Xones at a bargain price (compared to RRP) and am very happy with them, although I still need to level them properly. I also intend to fit TQ Blue jumper cables to match with my speaker cables.

The Xones seem definitely more detailed than my ELAs and are nice and punchy. I can hear detail that I hadn't noticed before and musical instruments sound very realistic. The bass is tight and not exaggerated but definitely there.

Leema are a great company - I was able to speak to Lee, who designed the speakers and got lots of good information. Also Harry at Leema runs Xones with a Pulse amp. The Xones were designed to go with the Pulse amp, so obviously there is great synergy. For some reason the speakers sell much better in Germany - I read an excellent review of the Xones in a German hifi magazine online.

The hardest part is going to be parting with my Rega ELAs :-( Unfortunately I don't have room to store them.

Nice.

I'm a fan of Leema gear myself, having a Pyxis 2, Agena and Stream 2. Beautifully built, and sound great to these ears.

They've recently re-done their website, and after nearly going under last year (well, did, then were refinanced by one of their major suppliers) and appear to be on the up. Good luck to them!

Link if anyone's interested:

http://www.leema-acoustics.com

Leema fan here Hydra2 power amp and Xavier speakers. I would be interested in a Leema pre at Pyxis level but don't won't the built in dac.

Leema fan here Hydra2 power amp and Xavier speakers. I would be interested in a Leema pre at Pyxis level but don't won't the built in dac.

FWIW the inbuilt DAC in the Pyxis faired very well in the recent DBO. Or they all sound the same.

Either way, it's not a bad thing to have thrown in!

advertisement

Back