advertisement

Led Zeppelin CD Pressings.

wezzywest

pfm Member
Hi, are there any Led Zeppelin CD pressings, that are better quality than others. Or any to avoid.
Cheers.

Hi, are there any Led Zeppelin CD pressings, that are better quality than others. Or any to avoid.
Cheers.
I'd say the original Barry Diament transfers are the most natural sounding...some remasters while they have their points, seem a bit more dynamic and crunch.
If your system is dynamic, say using speakers in the nineties, you might very well be happy with the flat original transfers. Otherwise go boom crash straight to one of the several remasters. You might well view the remasters as how the original material might had been treated had the format not been the vinyl disc.
Others might disagree, but LZ one is the best sounding for me, with PG probably the worst.

As far as I know there are 3 versions. The original CDs issued in the 80s, the remasters from the 90s, and the 2nd remasters, with extra tracks and photos, from the 2010s.

Opinions vary on which are the best, but some of the original recordings are a bit ropey, regardless of how they are remastered.

As far as I know there are 3 versions. The original CDs issued in the 80s, the remasters from the 90s, and the 2nd remasters, with extra tracks and photos, from the 2010s.

Opinions vary on which are the best, but some of the original recordings are a bit ropey, regardless of how they are remastered.
Cheers mate. I suppose its take a chance but i know to avoid the `deaf rockstar` ones.

Shame about the "so-called" remasters as mentioned earlier. Maybe have someone such as Steve Wilson or James Guthrie to do the task, damn sure the results would sound far better.

You might well view the remasters as how the original material might had been treated had the format not been the vinyl disc.

Except they managed to remove so much dynamic range from the remasters! The vinyl is far more dynamic, as are the first issue CDs. It annoys me how often rock music is remastered for CD with it’s 90db+ dynamic range by squashing things down to have a dynamic range of about 6-8db! I suspect it is more likely Robert Plant and others have hearing damage and monitor very loud (you just can’t hear dynamic range properly when playing stuff loud).

Others might disagree, but LZ one is the best sounding for me, with PG probably the worst.

Yes, for me too. I (and to a lesser degree II) sound like ‘60s albums to me, the rest obviously ‘70s, i.e. more reliance on multi-tracking and studio FX rather than good mic placement. I’m not a huge LZ fan and I only have I (the Classic Records issue, which is pretty good, probably the equal of a red/plumb 1st press).

advertisement

Back