advertisement

LED panel lights

Brian

Eating fat, staying slim
Anyone using such a thing in their kitchen? Anyway, recommendations please for an LED panel light welcomed for a kitchen.

The room is 22’ x 10’. There is no seating area in the room, which has plenty of natural light during most of the daytime. There are no wall cupboards. I prefer the light be on the ceiling and in the centre of the room.

Thanks

I use LED spots on a 4' grid; that way you always have the outer rows above the work surface as opposed to a centre light that will be behind you.

I marked them out carefully before i let the electrician instal.

Can see why you might want something different; it always reminds me of the transporter room; a positive in my mind!

Some ideas here, too many usually.
I use these guys a lot, for work, mostly a good experience, but saying in stock and actually being in stock can be a different thing.
I take it you are not looking for the led 'batten' type of thing, which are used as replacement for tubes.
I have used a huge amount of those for lighting workplaces, and the newer ones are adjustable for light output generally from 5 to 60 watts.
https://www.lights2go.co.uk/search/kitchen-ceiling-lights

I converted the existing fluorescent tube strip in my kitchen by fixing GU10 spotlights to it. And more recently changed the bulbs to LED. They are angled to various areas, such as the sink, cooker, worktop and microwave.
In effect, like this. It cost me around £10, as I bought a 4 way square of spots in a sale, and just removed the spots.
astro-1286014-ascoli-four-bar-spotlight-matt-nickel-p19792-28960_image.jpg

Some ideas here, too many usually.
I use these guys a lot, for work, mostly a good experience, but saying in stock and actually being in stock can be a different thing.
I take it you are not looking for the led 'batten' type of thing, which are used as replacement for tubes.
I have used a huge amount of those for lighting workplaces, and the newer ones are adjustable for light output generally from 5 to 60 watts.
https://www.lights2go.co.uk/search/kitchen-ceiling-lights
Great link, thanks. I need to crack on with it, the work on the new kitchen starts on Monday, earlier than expected. The fitter mentioned LED panels, hence the question. I was thinking of just a regular light with ‘normal’ bulbs, I know nothing about lights but I’m told panels are very good. I quite like the idea of being able to direct light with adjustable types though.

I have a dislike of tubes and panels, due to the diffuse shadows they cast. It always feels like I am underwater! I know others actually prefer them, but I like sharp edged shadows.

Great link, thanks. I need to crack on with it, the work on the new kitchen starts on Monday, earlier than expected. The fitter mentioned LED panels, hence the question. I was thinking of just a regular light with ‘normal’ bulbs, I know nothing about lights but I’m told panels are very good. I quite like the idea of being able to direct light with adjustable types though.

In my experience, recommendations from fitters usually turn out to be utter shite. If I were you then I'd investigate what you want, make the decision yourself, and then make sure they fit it exactly where and how you want it.

Googled it, found the below.

I wouldn't want that type of light, but if I did then I'd still be thinking about the dirt that'll get up there and if I wanted to change it how much of a mess is left behind / how to make good afterwards. If your room is large then you might end up being able to see too much of the gumpf above the panel.

In our kitchen (refitted start 2020) we have LED spots in the ceiling and LED Strips under the cabinets, which are inexpensive and provide ample light above the worktops.

led-panel-light-perfect-for-kitchen-5617419-1_800X600.jpg

Your electrician should be able to advise you, however most of them don't have a clue. It's not rocket science but requires a modicum of common sense to get right.
I'd never recommend a light in the centre of the room as you'd be casting a shadow in every position excepting directly underneath. Start by drawing out a plan view of the kitchen and mark out all work surfaces, sink, oven, hob etc. You can then work out where the lights should be to create even illumination across the room. They can be divided across several circuits to provide more flexibility.
You haven't said how high and what construction the ceiling is.

To aid installation think about using wireless switches/ dimmers , they are excellent nowadays.

Agree that a central panel in the ceiling is ugly. Much better 3 or 4 or 5 light sources on the periphery that you can manage according to what you need there and then. Agree also that electricians are usually useless for advice on lighting. Much better to ask a photographer (I'm not joking).
Don't rush it. Get the electrician to install wires coming out of the wall here and there, and then take your time to decide what kind of light you need where. Also, you are not obliged to conform to the "4000 Kelvin in the kitchen" dogma. 3000 is much nicer, gentler, more human.

advertisement

Back