advertisement

LED light bulbs - some questions before buying

me too :eek: bedside light fixture, where the lamp had gone, and i thought it would be a good idea to take the dead lamp out and stick my finger in the holder
Several years ago i had an odd dream, in which I unscrewed the bulb from the bedside lamp and put my fingers inside. When I awoke in the morning, the bulb was on the bedside table! :eek:

Only for tradesmen. For the rest of the world the bulb is the thing that screws into a lamp. Such as a table lamp, lava lamp, etc. Like a theory, which has different meanings depending on whether you are a scientist or a normal person.
I’m so pleased it’s not just myself trying to be a normal person!

'The bulb is just the outer glass envelope - in tradtional GLS, bulb-shaped. The thing that screws in and produces light is a lamp.
Only for tradesmen. For the rest of the world the bulb is the thing that screws into a lamp. Such as a table lamp, lava lamp, etc. Like a theory, which has different meanings depending on whether you are a scientist or a normal person.'

BS.

A bulb is something that grows in the ground. A lamp is something that goes into a light fitting to emit light.

'The bulb is just the outer glass envelope - in tradtional GLS, bulb-shaped. The thing that screws in and produces light is a lamp.
Only for tradesmen. For the rest of the world the bulb is the thing that screws into a lamp. Such as a table lamp, lava lamp, etc. Like a theory, which has different meanings depending on whether you are a scientist or a normal person.'

BS.

A bulb is something that grows in the ground. A lamp is something that goes into a light fitting to emit light.
A lamp is a lighting device that usually is positioned on a table or desk. Get real guys.

I can't be bothered trawling to find details, but the comment about Ra being derived from only 8 pastel colours is likely nonsense in the real world, not least because "pastel" has no meaning in the physics of light.
Quite so, but the real world are using CRI Ra as a tool for discerning the performance quality of lighting products.

@k90tour -exactly why I took you recommendation of a Soraa LED for a task light, and found it well-worth the premium ; from reading, to critical colour judgement in the day job. The fuller; natural rendering of the red-end of the spectrum is way ahead of basic 'good quality ' LEDs.

I mean you only have to look at the back of your hand under such to see it; and it shows-up in photography too. (I have some form on this, having specified things like LED medical OP theatre lights with variable red contrast for sim reasons...)

A lamp is something that goes into a light fitting to emit light.
A lamp is a lighting device that usually is positioned on a table or desk.

Interesting semantics here. My dictionary describes 'lamp' as a device which can contain a bulb. Its Greek origin means 'torch' (Latin = lampas/lampada). First time I've heard of a light-bulb being also called a lamp. Doesn't seem as though my New O.E.D. has heard of this shared terminology other.

advertisement

Back