advertisement

Lector digidrive/digicode service

Wonky1969

pfm Member
I just wondered if anyone here can tell me who services Lector digidrive/digicode 4 box CD player/dac in the UK as I'm struggling to find the relevant info.
Any pointers much appreciated.

just wondered if anyone here can tell me who services Lector digidrive/digicode 4 box CD player/dac in the UK as I'm struggling to find the relevant info.
Any pointers much appreciated.

Sounds like the one I have. Yes, as Nick said, Emporium of Bungay, Sfk have long been the agents for Lector. However, in the recent Audio show thread, it transpires that a new (?) firm in Bury St. Edmunds, Sfk stock them. Chances are that the two are linked. Chap at Emporium is Nick. What's wrong with it?

It plays fine and is quick to acquire tracks and sounds superb,but at the end of playing a disc,when the mech is returning to the rest position,it makes a plastic grinding noise,so I think the plastic cog that moves the mech is either hardend with age or is damaged,and i think the Duo plus Psu's now being 8 years old might benefit from being serviced and if possible a modification done to the switch on the back,which turns off the display ( desirable ) but also the remote functionality,which is not.
i just want to be able to turn the display off whilst retaining the use of the remote control,as in my set-up the difference with it off is clearly to my ears,a slight improvement to SQ.
I upgraded the valves in the digicode about a year ago,to Mullard and jj gold pin,and was a superb upgrade which took the SQ to another level,and I do wonder if there's more to be had with other tweaks/upgrades ?

That'll just be the pulley on the mech return.
Psu should be fine unless it's been on 24/7 or contains valves

Sounds like the one I have. Yes, as Nick said, Emporium of Bungay, Sfk have long been the agents for Lector. However, in the recent Audio show thread, it transpires that a new (?) firm in Bury St. Edmunds, Sfk stock them. Chances are that the two are linked. Chap at Emporium is Nick. What's wrong with it?

as I mentioned on that thread Mike, Iain at Willow Tree Audio is buying Lector from Emporium as a trade customer.
He is not linked company wise at all.
The Lector has been added to his available product portfolio.
This info after a discussion with Iain last week.

i think the Duo plus Psu's now being 8 years old might benefit from being serviced and if possible a modification done to the switch on the back,which turns off the display ( desirable )

Learning curve here! Had to go down and check the back of the player; 2 switches, which I imagine are what turns the display off. I love the Lector, but thee are far too many switches for me; I'm a plug 'n' play merchant. However, must try this (and read the strangely crude Italianate English handbook!)

Think my player is a fair bit older than yours and was re-valved just before I bought it used and that was 7.5 years ago. The little rubber ring round the clamp broke, but apart from that, it's been fine, but I only use it roughly once a fortnight; if that nowadays. It is a quirky machine, where I have to fire it up in a specific sequence or the player doesn't interface with the DAC until I unplug/plug in the I/C. Had the CDT7 before that, which was only a shade inferior sonically but half the box count. Have to say that all who have heard both (multi-person bake-offs etc.) have rated them highly for their involving, organic presentation.

Psu should be fine unless it's been on 24/7 or contains valves

They don't, and I would also expect good performance, as you say.

as I mentioned on that thread Mike, Iain at Willow Tree Audio is buying Lector from Emporium as a trade customer.
He is not linked company wise at all.
The Lector has been added to his available product portfolio.

Hope you're well, Russell; yes, I probably read this but you don't really expect me to remember it, surely? :). Think I was the one asking about Lector after seeing it on the exhibitors' list. Emporium are still the sole importer/distributor for Lector, then. Useful, I s'pose, being down the road from me.

advertisement

Back