advertisement

Learning to Juggle aged 52

Bjork67

pfm Member
Is this more a skill that should've been learnt at an earlier age? Are lefthanders as good as righties, any proficient jugglers on here I wonder?

I can do four (or could, when I last tried years ago), five always defeated me. I’m sinister, as I’m sure you have noticed. I’d like to think I could still do three easily while totally out of practice - now I’ll be spending tomorrow looking for some suitable bean-bags. Thanks!

I remember the book I learned from said the difficulty was exponential - if three balls has a difficulty of 1, four = 10 and five = 100.

Last edited:
I've never tried it. It might take you longer than when you were younger. Time does one's neurology few - if any - favours.

I learned to juggle at about 30 yrs old.

I can juggle 3 quite well. I have a video somewhere of me phaffing about. I can juggle 3 clubs enough to impress a child.

A few tips (in no order)

Juggle over a sofa, or bed. That way when you drop a ball, it doesn't roll away.

Get the balls to peak about eye height, maybe a bit higher.

Practice with 2 balls, starting with 2 in one hand and throw from right to left, left to right.

A ball in each hand, throw them to the opposing hand at the same time, catch, repeat.

Juggle standing up against a wall. This stops you throwing the balls forward, when they need to be going parallel to you.

Learn one thing well until you can do it for a minute, easily.

Now do it all faster.

I will have a look tomorrow for my old crappy home vid.

I'm crap at it! A couple I knew years ago and were very proficient and appeared at shows etc tried to teach me a few times in their living room but gave up as my ineptitude was causing carnage with drinks knocked over, ornaments smashed etc! Well they insisted that anyone, even me, and even on their 4th beer, can be taught basic juggling in minutes.... fools!:D

Clear instructions thanks, useful for re-starting my efforts.

My son started when quite young, clubs as well. He did a presentation at junior school, with him juggling with Orbital as the background vibes, all
his choice btw

Bloss

Took it up about 20 years back, can do 5 balls or clubs relatively easily, after that... struggling

I learnt 3 ball juggling 30 years ago, working with a small team on an intensive IT project... we learnt juggling as a relaxation thing when we needed a 10 minute break.

However, I never mastered 4. As far as I can tell it’s a different technique - two balls staying in loops in each hand - not crossing over to the other? Or have I got this completely wrong?

Big Tabs gave great advice.
Bean bag type balls are great to learn with as they dont tend to run away when fallen.
Weight important too, light balls hard to learn with, so never try learning with tennis type balls. Again bean bag types good . Can make easy at home.
The higher you throw the more time you have.
Imagine a box above your head, aim and throw to the corners of the box.
Keep hand flat, most when learning have their palms down, so when you throw the ball goes forward making it difficult to catch etc .
Keep your hands down and elbows in.
Practice, practice, practice.
Never juggle anywhere near hifi or breakable things.

I learnt 3 ball juggling 30 years ago, working with a small team on an intensive IT project... we learnt juggling as a relaxation thing when we needed a 10 minute break.

However, I never mastered 4. As far as I can tell it’s a different technique - two balls staying in loops in each hand - not crossing over to the other? Or have I got this completely wrong?

You can do 2 looping in each hand or/and cross them over. Still hard whatever

I used to be in a fire juggling troupe (think Archaos meets Cirque du Soleil). We used to do Oxford college ball shows and free festivals (it doesn't get much more diverse than that). A major part was the polyrhythmic drumming section who were really good. In fact, it was only when I went to see CduS at the Albert Hall 15 years ago that I realised that we were actually pretty good. The group split when those who thought there was more to life than juggling got on with their lives while those who thought there was more to juggling than life got on with jugggling (for a while before becoming mandarins in the CS or going to work for FTSE 100 companies).

Going to have a go later today.

Since my big accident in 2008 I juggle very little. My right hand has restricted movement and cannot turn flat palm up (my wrist hardly moves) so right hand catch is awkward. Also my right eye is poor (again post accident) and monocular vision makes juggling quite hard.

I want to get 'chops' back. I love the feeling of it.

I did have it with 3 clubs, but I doubt I can get that back.

I cannot remember the names of tricks. Claw catching I think is fun.

Various yo-yo variations. Loops and reverse cascades. Bugger, I need to have a go.

I used to be in a fire juggling troupe (think Archaos meets Cirque du Soleil). We used to do Oxford college ball shows and free festivals (it doesn't get much more diverse than that). A major part was the polyrhythmic drumming section who were really good. In fact, it was only when I went to see CduS at the Albert Hall 15 years ago that I realised that we were actually pretty good. The group split when those who thought there was more to life than juggling got on with their lives while those who thought there was more to juggling than life got on with jugggling (for a while before becoming mandarins in the CS or going to work for FTSE 100 companies).
Some great Jugglers came from Oxford. My ole mate John Blanchard being one of the best.

Wow.

I find 4 balls hard, and cannot do 4 clubs.

Hat tip to you.

I found the 3 bean bag the most challenging at first but once you get the hang of it andget the 'toss' height just right then it just came together, the clubs were a different matter. Also, it took so much concentration that I found it a great way to switch off from the stress of day to day.

I found the 3 bean bag the most challenging at first but once you get the hang of it andget the 'toss' height just right then it just came together, the clubs were a different matter. Also, it took so much concentration that I found it a great way to switch off from the stress of day to day.

I have never juggled with bean bags, I have some good juggling balls that I got about 1993.

One set are weighted beautifully, and are perfect size for me as well. I think they were called 'dixies.'

I have a larger set that 'glow in the dark,' but they are too big for any fancy pants work.

I made my first set of clubs (sawn off wooden broom handles taped into the old green plastic one litre perrier bottles) about the same year. It cannot be underestimated how painful it is to keep smacking your knuckles on a bit of hard wood... I have a nice set now, but they can still clonk you a good 'un.

@Bjork67

After a lot of phaff, here is a short video I made in 2007 - the 'song' is something from myspace that made us all laugh because it was soo incredibly bad - somebody called Gare. (I used to punish the kids by playing Gare in the car to them.)

I will put up the longer edit, with swearing and my accent clearly audible, when I figure it out. There are some nice moments in it...

(note: this is pre life changing accident)

advertisement

Back