advertisement

Leak st20 and radford sta25

What kind of music are guys using with ESL and valve amps? Classical mostly I guess?

Not at all. They are superb with jazz, electronica, techno etc. So much faster than typical box speakers with none of the artificial dryness of over-damped amps and aggressive port-loading. They aren’t the right tool for ear-damage, so those wanting a heavy metal concert in their front room should look elsewhere, but neither valve amps or ESLs are in any way genre-specific. I‘d actually argue if a system can really do classical well it can do anything well. So many systems fail when shown a piano, let alone anything bigger!

When I compared a friend's ST20 to my STA15 into my then easy load Castle speakers I definitely preferred the latter.

I don't own any ESLs, but I have heard ESL63s. At first it's a shock removing the box speaker colourations. Once you've adapted they just sounded better and better as the evening went on. Like big Tannoys they also tell you honestly what's going on down low. A lot of rock/pop has boosted upper bass which gives an illusion of deep bass on typical box speakers which often have port resonances in the same area. A 15" Tannoy or an ESL will play it if it's there and not if it's not.

Thanks guys and interesting, My wee Kel 84 was superb on all music with the 15" Hpd Tannoy. Could Rock, and do even big Classical stuff. the lot. Last time I heard 57's with quad 11 valve amps, the guy in a lovely big flat played Captain and Tenille............it was super even though not my musical taste.

What kind of music are guys using with ESL and valve amps? Classical mostly I guess?

Not at all. They are superb with jazz, electronica, techno etc. So much faster than typical box speakers with none of the artificial dryness of over-damped amps and aggressive port-loading. They aren’t the right tool for ear-damage, so those wanting a heavy metal concert in their front room should look elsewhere, but neither valve amps or ESLs are in any way genre-specific. I‘d actually argue if a system can really do classical well it can do anything well. So many systems fail when shown a piano, let alone anything bigger!
spot on;)
would say a good distance behind them plays a huge roll in improving bass.
After playing go go penguin playlist all day on impulse taus and a 303 at high volume.
Have just switched over to 57s and a 306 same playlist and i am not disappointed at less volume and bass, but another layer of detail with certain instruments..

advertisement

Back