advertisement

Lavardin Integrateds.

Mr Magoo

Hello. How are you?
I plan to replace my current pre power amps with a good quality integrated. Currently considering the Audia Flight FLS9, and perhaps a Leben CS600. Two very different amps that should make the decision straight forward once I get to demo each of them. I have heard the Leben CS300 in the past, and thought it was brilliant. But just a little concerned about the power available with the 300. Hence the 600.

My system source is the superb Well Tempered Versalex with the Dynavector 17DX, and the speakers are Harbeth P3 XDs. The listening room is 4m x 3.5m.

Recently, however, the French brand Lavardin appeared on my radar and I wondered whether anyone had any experience of any of their present range of integrated amps? As I only have a single source and never use a remote, the simplicity of the Lavardin is not a barrier to inclusion. It is the sound quality that matters above all else.

Incidentally, the pre power currently being used is the Sugden A21P and a hand built Stereo Coffee LDR pre. Both purchased on PFM. They make great music, but are limited when I want to up the volume within the constraints of the P3s. We all need to let off steam from time to time. I have a very good phono amp in the Ray Samuels F117 Nighthawk, also purchased on PFM.

My budget is up to £7k, but could be stretched for the right amp, which needs to be a keeper. Have been in this game since 1973, when I bought my first amp, a Sansui AU101.
Thanks in advance

Peter

Lavardin are wonderful in many ways, but prodigious power output is not one of them. If grunt is a necessity, then I wouldn’t look at Lavardin first. But I’d say you should listen to Lavardin, because you might decide power output isn’t a deal-breaker after all.

Leftfield choice and well under budget Rotel michi X3
Rotel Michi X3 Integrated Amplifier | Hi-Fi News (hifinews.com)
Funnily enough I was reading a review of the Michi X5 that piqued my interest in the X3. Interesting alternative too,
Lavardin are wonderful in many ways, but prodigious power output is not one of them. If grunt is a necessity, then I wouldn’t look at Lavardin first. But I’d say you should listen to Lavardin, because you might decide power output isn’t a deal-breaker after all.
Good point. Although it’s the right balance between power and musicality that I’m seeking. Not all of one and none of the other.
Maybe have a look at an LFD, meant to have great synergy with Harbeths.

Guildford Audio currently have a secondhand NCSE MK III available.
Will certainly take a look. Thanks for the pointer.

Had one in for repair about 13 years ago. Just a dry joint... which was lucky as most of the circuitry is encapsulated in resin of some sort! Wasn't impressed when I had a listen. Sounded, well, "washed out" is about the best I can describe it. Nice absence of "grit and grain" etc but little "body and warmth" either...

It depends how desperate you are to spend the whole £7k and whether it has to be brand new.

I’d personally look for a mint Karan KAI-180 mk2 for around £3.5k

I have really wanted to like Lavardin for years, as I think they look cool - minimalist and elegant.

I tried the ISx at a HiFi shop demo about 18 months ago on some unfamiliar speakers, but pitched it against a Naim Nait XS3 and Audio Analogue Integrated. The Lavardin was the least powerful of the 3 and very much sounded it. It sounded pretty gutless to be honest and not really worth the asking. I realise this is bottom of the ladder but even the Naim which could be argued as a little rougher sounding had much more gusto.

I also heard the IT a few times about 10 years ago. Both times I wasn't exactly bowled over, the one time was in the Lavardin room at a Dublin show. It just sounded like another solid state amp to me, but perhaps I wasn't listening so critically back then, I did have a different set of priorities that probably didn't sync with the Lavardin brand.

I believe if given an easy load (nominal 8 ohms) they can shine, but I have not experienced this.

I have read that it is only the original ones that had the magic, but these can no longer be made as the designer died and left no clues as to what the magic was. A lot of the workings were in a sealed box within the amp with the values scrubbed off many of the parts (resistors, caps etc) so it could not be copied. This now renders these early models only fit for the bin should they fail, which does happen.

So if you want the Lavardin magic for £7k, perhaps just by ~3x original IT models that go for about £2-2.5K on the 2nd hand market and that should give you the original magic well into the future ;-)

Last edited:
Lightbulb moment - with your system a Dynavector HX 1.2 second hand or an HX100 new (if they exist). Keep the preamp. My only reservation is I sold my HX1.2 before getting a passive, so that’s an unknown. You could speak to Audio Counsel or Phonography about that. If passive no good the DV L300 is an obvious match.

Lavardin amps can sound delightful its worth trying one

The norma amps are also well worth a demo , they are muscular and very smooth and beautifully built and great remotes

This may be a bit different, and I have no idea how well it would mate with your speakers either, maybe check out the Kora TB140 or TB200. I do not claim to know or understand their "Square Tube" technology, the TB140 sounded rather good when paired with my WLM La Scala monitors at a friends house, using Naim ND5XS2 as source. Simple 2-box setup that sounded quite good, detailed without being over the top, good snap, and just a great overall sound. I would have liked to have spent some more time with this setup and a couple different options on the source just to get a better overall feel for the amp, it was just a loaner a friend was checking out.

I also second the Norma amplification, very superb stuff that gets over looked I think.

Haven’t heard Lavardin. So, throwing something else into the mix; might be worth looking at Norma IPA70B or for more power, IPA140. Brilliant amplifiers!
Good luck with your search.

My budget is up to £7k, but could be stretched for the right amp, which needs to be a keeper.

Good plan. A lot will depend on taste or personal preference so you would need to listen to the available options and decide for yourself. I only have experience with the P3ESR but not the XD version. I would not match a warm or laidback amp from the likes of Lavardin with the P3ESR but was made to understand that the P3ESR XD is a brighter and livelier sounding speaker so perhaps you would do fine with most amps out there.

The IT, in any variant, is a great amp at its price point (the secondhand value mentioned above) but, as ever, it’s all about tastes and what you are paring it with.

Those little harbs need a lot of juice to wake them up, in my experience. Hegels seem to be a popular choice, and are a safe/easy purchase secondhand.

There’s an (overpriced) Audionet SAM SE on eBay. That would work very nicely indeed, if a deal could be done.

advertisement

Back