advertisement

Latest LS3/5a v other mini standmounts shootout !

I understand the LS50 because it's a modern 'interpretation' of the BBC approach but if you add Regas and Amphions and Dalis then you can add all other toy-sized speakers in the market...

You can't please all of the people all of the time. Some people seem to want to compare one Brand of LS3/5A against other Brands of LS3/5As because the things no longer seem to be the faithful and exact copy of what they once were. I can fully understand in one way why they want the comparisons of one brand vs another. However they have to recognise they are now different as chalk and cheese.

You then have a body of people (myself included) who would prefer a comparison of LSA/5A vs KeF LS50 Meta vs Dali etc. I just want the best bookshelf speaker for my system.

What we have is an environment where it seems vulgar to even place a LS3/5A near to a different type of speaker. It seems crazy that a £400.00 speaker could out perform a £2000.00 one but this could well be the case. Until we have more comparisons, we will never know.

I think looking for a 'winner' is entirely the wrong approach. What's your favourite cheese, wine or beer ? Same camp, different preferences.
I agree, 'winner' implies subjectiveness.
If they are are referring to measured performance the should call it 'best'. :p

What we have is an environment where it seems vulgar to even place a LS3/5A near to a different type of speaker. It seems crazy that a £400.00 speaker could out perform a £2000.00 one but this could well be the case. Until we have more comparisons, we will never know.

As per the post above, if you are looking for performance there are plenty of measurements of small speakers around.
But technical performance can only complement listening, which is the final arbitrer. And for that reason a comparison performed/written by someone other than yourself is useless, as is any non-comparative review.

Well ‘Shane2468’, I use a Roberts radio in my bedroom.
British built and surprisingly good sound quality.

Last edited:
I think looking for a 'winner' is entirely the wrong approach. What's your favourite cheese, wine or beer ? Same camp, different preferences.

This.

For example The Harbeth and Tablette 10 sound quite a bit different to each other, can see some folk liking the former and vice versa- to my ears they sound quite different.

I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about speaker design. However Mull is correct when he claims that every LS3/5As will sound the same because every item down to the last nut bolt and washer is exactly the same as all the others, so they are all identical in specification except for the logo.
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here. Surely it's not entirely down to the nut, bolt and washer or identical cabinet dimensions? The speaker crossover will have a large influence on sound quality and this is the area where designers spent most of their time with the tweaking. The different material used for the main driver and tweeter will also have an effect on sound quality.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here. Surely it's not entirely down to the nut, bolt and washer or identical cabinet dimensions? The speaker crossover will have a large influence on sound quality and this is the area where designers spent most of their time with the tweaking. The different material used for the main driver and tweeter will also have an effect on sound quality.

If I'm not mistaken original BBC-licensed LS speakers were meant to be interchangeable. You could take out a Rogers and pop in a Spendor. I think that they tended to use identical parts and I am sure that they were required to produce identical measured performance.

Modern remakes and LS-style speakers are another matter.

Last edited:
I had a pair of Rogers LS3/5As, ex. Radio Leicester, which weren’t a matching A/B pair.
As far as I could tell, they sounded identical.
They were equipped with XLR connectors and I understand Rogers double checked models
going to broadcast authorities.
It would have been interesting to check with another 15 ohm ‘3/5A, but I didn’t have any other
LS3/5As around at the time.

If I'm not mistaken original BBC-licensed LS speakers were meant to be interchangeable. You could take out a Rogers and pop in a Spendor. I think that they tended to use identical parts and I am sure that they were required to produce identical measured performance.

Indeed. They were drop in replacements but with today's variants, it's anyone's guess.

Unless the speaker has the same cabinet, same drivers and crossover then they are not LS3/5A, just a similar sized speaker.

It is a stretch for sure, but one could argue that, like the LS3/5A had at its time, the Kyte has a radical new way of thinking about cabinet design. You could make the same claim about the LS50.

PS Has anyone heard the Kyte? Assuming Rega haven’t cheaped-out on the tweeter (as they did on the originals) I’d expect them to sound very good. I like the design thinking. I like the older versions of both the LS50 and Spendors. I’d expect to like everything on the list to be honest. I like mini-monitors!
The original Kytes were pretty crap, budget speaker with no bass whatsoever. Loads of better options out there. Surely a better test would be similar sized speakers rather than just comparing speakers which are designed to sound the same?

The LS3/5a are known for having its compromises.
Falcon Acoustics released the Q7 which was meant to address some of those compromises.
I would love to see a Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a vs Q7 comparison.

Falcon Acoustics released the Q7 which was meant to address some of those compromises.

Perhaps some people like the LS3/5A’s compromises...

If you look on You Tube, Ditton Works did a comparison between the Q7 and the LS3/5a. Also Martyn Miles and others of this parish used to have the Q7, and have commented on them in the past on this forum.

Then of course there is also the new Falcon M10 bookshelf speaker, which uses the same drivers in a deeper ported cabinet

The list goes on....

I love my Q7's. They sound to me like an LS3/5a with a smoother frequency response 120-60hz. They blend with a subwoofer better but still have that 'LS3/5a' sound. They're a little more dynamic, too.

advertisement

Back