advertisement

Latest Billie Eilish - Hit Me Hard and Soft

Vinny

pfm Member
Those of us of a certain age will fall in love with this - soft, slow, smoochy, exactly what would be the last to be palyed at SO many discos of the 70'-80's.

I really like all that she has recorded, but if anyone hates her previous stuff, investigate the new album on YouTube.

An amazing talent.

Here’s In Groove Mike’s review of the vinyl, and here’s an Amazon link to the CD! I listened to a bit on Tidal and it sounds fine, I quite like some of it, so what Mike is describing is a poor cut and too long a side playing time. Should have been a double, as is the case with so many current albums.

PS I mentioned this on another thread, though it obviously needs to be here too!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I would give the recording/pressing 8/10 - to be honest really poor ones amongst what I buy are rare anyway. The real let-down is the run-out loop on side A - it has a recording in it, so why the **** not cut it at the same quality as the rest of the recording?

The LP here is the translucent blue/turquiose pressing.There is a sticker on the sleeve "made in France", but is that the sleeve????????1

Interesting, that’s far higher than Mike implies, though as you say different pressings for different regions. Looking at the times on Discogs it doesn’t seem as long as I thought either, over 20 minutes a side, but not much (anything over 18 minutes comes at a price of cut level). Here’s a link to the vinyl!

PS It is hard cutting sound into lock-grooves as the cutter head is moving sideways far faster than normal to get there, and chances are when it arrives you overwrite.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I didn't check times after your comment, but your comment did seem unjustified.

Lock groove - there is some noise and then there is horrendous noise........................ It sounds like something a comedy programme would play as "typical vinyl". An unrecorded groove would never sound that bad (maybe).

It really is unlike her previous stuff - some reminds me a bit of Amy Winehouse, how it is constructed, lyrics and orchestration.
But then I was already a fan.

Thanks for your review, Vinny. Couldn't get into her previous stuff (although I love No Time to Die) but might have a look into this one.

Just listening now on Qobuz. Like it a lot, but it feels like a murky mix. No idea what the vinyl might be like, and Groove Mike's interesting sales technique hasn't won me over.

The LP here sounds pretty good in terms of software and hardware. I'll have another listen later and see how "murky" it sounds :)
I may have been a bit over-critical giving 8/`10 here.

As above though - the problem that will never be got around with records - (sub)master-to-(sub)master, stamper-to-stamper, press order on any one stamper, and pressing plant, they'll all vary at least somewhat.

Three tracks in... sonically average plus so far. This on digital. Shame, the first album is jaw dropping in sonics and beautiful little production touches. Musically, the first album was constantly surprising...so far I'm unsurprised.

I'll amend later after giving the whole album a hearing.

Three tracks in... sonically average plus so far. This on digital. Shame, the first album is jaw dropping in sonics and beautiful little production touches. Musically, the first album was constantly surprising...so far I'm unsurprised.

I played the first few tracks yesterday, expecting to be bowled over ....... but not winning me over atm. I thought her first album was excellent, and this is somewhat different.

I tend to find her albums growers. I take a bit of time to get into them, and need to be in the right 'place' to listen. She's a very clever song writer and deserves the plaudits tho, IMHO.

It takes me a few listens to really appreciate her albums. The vinyl pressing I received is fine sonic quality, and the music on first listen more engaging and interesting than her second album was on first listen, tho I still enjoy that one too. The first album was a cracker - a hard act to follow up for anyone - but it's great to hear such different approaches on each subsequent album. I definitely appreciate her self control in keeping the album length to around 40-odd minutes.

A few listens later...

There is some very unimaginative drumming at times, foursquare with none of the subtle swing of Sleep. Plodding, even.

There are some very unimaginative synth sounds on some tracks, perhaps some reference to early synth deployment I don't get. These are cheesy enough to verge on annoying at times.

There are deliberately distorted bass and drums at times, which was shocking at times on Sleep, but here outstay their welcome. And may be the reason the vinyl gets such a panning upthread.

Her singing is extremely good, a little less of the breathy intimacy of Sleep, but still very listenable and enjoyable.
Songwriting is above competent, but a little below the surprising and near genius of Sleep - melodies floated over chords are more predictable and lie less obliquely.

Overall, though, still well worth your time, and works nicely on earphones, a warm comforting wrap to spend time in.

I really like all that she has recorded, but if anyone hates her previous stuff, investigate the new album on YouTube…

She’s the headlights, I’m the deer…

That’s only the second Billie Eilish song I’ve heard properly, after the Bond theme. I thought it’d be way more angsty and isn’t what I was expecting at all.

Makes me feel really old, but that’s ok. Thanks…

A few listens later...

There is some very unimaginative drumming at times, foursquare with none of the subtle swing of Sleep. Plodding, even.

There are some very unimaginative synth sounds on some tracks, perhaps some reference to early synth deployment I don't get. These are cheesy enough to verge on annoying at times.

There are deliberately distorted bass and drums at times, which was shocking at times on Sleep, but here outstay their welcome. And may be the reason the vinyl gets such a panning upthread.

Her singing is extremely good, a little less of the breathy intimacy of Sleep, but still very listenable and enjoyable.
Songwriting is above competent, but a little below the surprising and near genius of Sleep - melodies floated over chords are more predictable and lie less obliquely.

Overall, though, still well worth your time, and works nicely on earphones, a warm comforting wrap to spend time in.
Birds of a feather is a very nice song.

Fine enough but a bit soft and not up to the standards of the previous two albums. But then, as a 66 yo male, maybe I’m not the target audience. 😂

Never got with the hype regarding her to start with tbh. It's all been done before. Nothing new.

I'll be 66 years old in 2 months. Pension time. Money for nothing. I'm just glad I lived through a period in time where music was innovative and not just the same old regurgitated for the sake of it shite..
What do you think her first album is derivative of?

I've had a listen, I keep trying, but I keep listening in hope that she will move away from songs that sound like they only have two chords. Or just have a different singing part over the same chords from the verse to make it sound a bit like a chorus.

Wildlowers has a go at chord progressions, it might even have 5. It's the only one I would listen to again, or would I.

I'd like to hear a song that lifts off, twists, turns, soars etc.....you can only hold my attention for so long if you ignore the magic of chord progressions and then mumble through.

Start with Life On Mars......shit load of chords in that to support an awesome melody. Or if you must use the same chords in the chorus as the verse and mumble through, check out Knocking on Heavens Door. That one sticks in the head.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back