advertisement

Late period Miles Davis?

Aura is really a Palle Mikkelborg album of music he wrote with Miles in mind for a prize he was being awarded, which he then got Miles to play on. A 10 note phrase is the motif in all the tracks reworked for the various different styles - with a note per letter of M-I-L-E-S-D-A-V-I-S.

Miles really liked it - linking it to the orchestral jazz he did with Gil Evans - and the reluctance of Columbia to release it initially was part of the reason he left the label for Warners.

Here's a shot of my late Miles along with a few later reissues. My cup is full.

IW5IqhX.jpg

omSY1Od.jpg

Nice collection, but please sort it either chronologically within artist (preferably) or alphabetically within artist (if you must). It is clearly entirely unacceptable as-is! ;-)

I saw Miles at the Birmingham NEC in I think 1990, not very long before his death. He was obviously not very well, and left the stage after less than an hour - the band carried on for a while without him.

Oddly, although he didn't play that much, and some of it was fairly simplistic, the band was much better when he was there. I remember a call and response passage with the bass player that was frankly a limited idea dragged out too long.

I don't know any of the late albums, but I think any appreciation of them has to take his declining health into account.

Nice collection, but please sort it either chronologically within artist (preferably) or alphabetically within artist (if you must). It is clearly entirely unacceptable as-is! ;-)

I was going for the chronological within artist originally but things have gotten mixed up over time. That second photo with the reissues was never right. ;-)

Picked up Tutu CD in Charity shop this afternoon, been a long time since I last heard this one (vinyl at time of original release).
That makes 3 late period alongside Amandla and Your under arrest on LP.

For me Tutu is clearly the best of that three, Amandla is pretty decent and You're Under Arrest a bit of a career low point really. Definitely liking Aura now.

I was going for the chronological within artist originally but things have gotten mixed up over time. That second photo with the reissues was never right. ;-)

I've spotted the deliberate filing mistake in the first photo - can I claim my prize?

I searched out this thread after listening to Doo Bop, and being vaguely aware of seeing a late Miles thread on here. (Mind you initially it told me there were no members called Miles Davis here due to a slight thumb error in the search). Being the ultra moderne guy I am, I added the Warner compilation The Last Word to my Roon Library.

Today in work I found myself for the first time in a long time wanting to finish up to go home and listen to some music.

Listening to Amandla and enjoying it no end.

.sjb

I then bought the 5xCD 1986-91 Warner Years box a couple of years ago, but realised recently I'd barely played it as I didn't like the way it was play-listed (all the albums scrunched up onto 5 CDs) - I still very much think in terms of albums with a distinct picture cover and a track-list on the back, a thing that starts here and ends there and beyond that I get confused so tend to ignore things (e.g. the CD issue of Coltrane's Heavyweight Champion irritates the crap out of me as it is in session date order of all things).

Agree, that is annoying Tony. My solution using iTunes is to set up each individual album with the original tracks in order, add the original cover, and take 'bonus/extra' material and create a separate disc.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I saw Miles at the Birmingham NEC in I think 1990, not very long before his death. He was obviously not very well, and left the stage after less than an hour - the band carried on for a while without him.

Oddly, although he didn't play that much, and some of it was fairly simplistic, the band was much better when he was there. I remember a call and response passage with the bass player that was frankly a limited idea dragged out too long.

I don't know any of the late albums, but I think any appreciation of them has to take his declining health into account.

I went to the Hammersmith Odeon gig on the same tour and reviewed it for NME. I think you've caught it right, Miles didn't play that much. In London I seem to recall he came on for a few tunes at the beginning. He then left the stage for quite a while and returned towards the end. I was kind of disappointed.

The only other time I'd seen him was the the Isle of White Festival in 1970, which was amazing. Bitches Brew Live captures part of what he and the band did there. The latter included Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and Gary Bartz.

I do like late period Miles though.

Jack

I was at the Hammersmith Odeon gig where the TuTu material was played, mainly by the band, as Jack said.
MD's charisma was definitely present though.

What did it for me was Agharta and McCoy Tyners Atlantis, around 74/75 maybe? Both of which were like the second coming for me, blowing rock music out of the water and just made everything so banal, except Gong and Santana. Agharta and tripping was the bomb!

I liked Tutu but it sounded so light in comparison.

Kind Of Blue is of course wonderful as is most of Miles Davis music. His sexual politics seem flawed in the light of current societal developments.

I love reading anything about his life and in particular the way musicians developed out of their encounters with him.

advertisement

Back