advertisement

Laptop powers up but screen blank

piccadilly

pfm Member
Hi, a few weeks ago my laptop powered up but the screen was blank. I unplugged the power, removed the battery and powered up again. That solved the problem.

Now when it happens again. I did the same procedure and it either stays on for 3 min and then goes blank or the screen stays blank the whole time.

Yesterday I went in to task manager to view CPU usage. It showed in red at about 98%. I closed down duplicate versions of Google Chrome. That has significantly reduced CPU usage. So it came on okay yesterday morning and seemed to be okay.

Then last night blank screen again. Took battery out and again screen only on briefly.

This morning having it powered just by AC: screen miraculously came on, but went blank a few minutes later.

When battery was disconnected I held down power button for 20 seconds. Powered up and again screen only on briefly.

Local computer repair shop is closed for the weekend.
I saw a guy on YouTube remove a RAM card but I don't want to get a screw driver out and would rather leave it to a qualified technician.

Sounds like a display inverter failure, fairly cheap part depending on make and easy to fit if handy with screw driver. Other cause, display leads ware near screen hinges try pressing around the hinge or moving the lid back and forth slightly.

What model is it? Modern laptops don't have inverters as they use LED backlighting, not ccfl, they are more reliable but it does sound like a thermal/over current issue on the backlight circuit.

If you have a monitor you can plug that in for now. I have a similar problem with an old Lenovo just need to replace the HT supply but you have to strip down quite a bit to remove the screen on a Thinkpad and then attack the screen assembly to replace the HT card.

A job for when I'm bored. Just remembered it was a high res screen so might get off my lazy ass.......

Cheers,

DV

Thanks for advice. I've not done anything else to my laptop. Last night when I got home I simply switched it on. It powered up and, gave me several options e.g. factory reset or system restore. I bypassed those options and just restarted it normally. It successfully rebooted. I left it on over night and it is still working okay. Only thing I've done is close down Windows Media Player as that was a real drain on CPU usage.

It's a Compaq Presario CQ58. Bought it as a refurbished model for about £145 about 5 months ago (3 months warranty) from local computer repair shop.

advertisement

Back