advertisement

Landed a NAC102... what's the first mod to do?

Haven't managed to find any silicone hose yet (would rubber fuel line do, or does it have to be silicone). I did however get a little carried away and get busy doing Martin's mods detailed on Acoustica.org. I'm waiting on a delivery of some Wima MKS caps so will have a play with those too. I must say the improvement so far is really rather good!

Crikey been away for a while, glad to see someone moving forward where I've stalled.

Have a look on eBay for silicone breather tube, very cheap but you need to match the colour to the sound you're aiming for...

Black: dark backgrounds
Red: in your face presentation
Blue: Cold and clinical sound

o_O

Thank you kindly! In other news the Wima caps turned up. Fitted them and they seemed to destroy the sound stage. Everything just shrank in width. Nice detail, but very narrow and 2D. they didn't stay in there very long!

I'm currently considering separating the 24v rails and powering the 729 and 321 sections individually using a dual teddycap. Do you think this would be worthwhile?

Wimas take a while to break in - but I also found them too polite in Naim preamps

What electrical, measurable property would be responsible for that?

Haha - no fecking idea, but I stopped listening to my modified NAC60 when I replaced all the 10uf tants for Wimas. It did get better over a 3 week period, but was just too polite somehow. Same change from electrolytics in an A&R A60 was much better to these old subjective ears.

I have zero evidence, but film caps (& electrolytics too, but are quicker) take some time to break/burn in to my ears, and I never decide on success of a change immediately when changing caps.

Oh, welcome back btw, your objective views have been sorely missed...by someone I guess :)

Good score on that 102! It's a marmite preamp in the Naim camp - the 72 worshippers say it's too brash/bright etc but really the 72 is just dull ;)

In relatively unmodified form (more on that later) it can give brilliantly insightful and musical results simply by giving it the cleanest power supply you can buy/build.
Step 1 is either get hold of an NAPSC or build a clone, then fit the gyrator mod as per the napsc-shocker thread Jo has linked to above. Do not underestimate the importance of getting the cleanest possible supply to the digital/control bits of the preamp. It really does open up a window to use that well worn audio cliche.
Step 2 is a matter of building the best possible dual 24V supply you can. The TPR4 offers DR style performance given a nice chunky primary supply upstream of it, and I know from personal experience it's a great 'drop in' regulator for a standard Hicap. However, there's another way to get a superbly capable supply and that's to simply add the above gyrator mod to Naim's own 317 based regulator. Since quite a few folk have seemingly fitted TPR4s in their Hicaps, it should be possible to pick up a Naim reg cheaply and modify it by adding 2 gyrators. I have 2 Hicaps modified this way, one powers my phono boards and the other powers my 102. The results are up there with what the TPR4 does in terms of resolving more information, but with a slightly less forward presentation - which I reckon helps counter the slightly forward presentation inherent in the 102. Hope that makes sense.
Step 3 is the single mod you can safely (and reversibly) do to a 102 that you'll shake your head at; Replace all of the PCB mounting pillars with precisely cut lengths of silicone tubing (model engine fuel tube is perfect), so that the board is effectively decoupled from the tray and case.

Mr Tibbs
Mr Tibbs, you didn't mention the replacement of 62k resistors by 47k resistors on the 2 TA filter modules. Should we consider this replacement is a very minor improvement (if any) ?

This is an old thread you are reviving....Mr Tibbs has (sadly) not been seen for a couple of years
Probably worth experiencing with values as resistors are.so cheap !!

About the caps; Ryan Sound Lab makes also upgrade cards for the older Naim preamps. In a document on his site he says, that after listening, the bigger the Wima caps the better the sound. And the best were MKP caps from Wima. Against the MKP caps is their size. Instead of 5 mm distance, the pins of the MKP's are I believe 22,5 mm. Also a good alternative are SMR caps from Rifa. But again, 10uF comes in a bigger size. If you install them, use small pieces of wire to the holes.
Greating Jurjen

Yes, the Wima mks caps are sounding boring and destroy the sound, not only in naim amps.
In a Nait 3 I used silmic II for the 10uF caps with very good result. They need some time for breaking in. In my experience the sound is more open while using the largest caps with the highest voltage rating - in this case 10uF/100V.

I am intrigued by Mr Tibbs tube decoupling mod. I will try that sometime. I've always wondered about DIYing a decoupling floating spring as Naim do on some higher end products.
You could devise this using some really exotic materials, such as a folded infinite baffle woven textile buffer sold as a dishcloth or say some rising rate air/copolymer based elastomers, which some call washing up sponges.

Mr Tibbs, you didn't mention the replacement of 62k resistors by 47k resistors on the 2 TA filter modules. Should we consider this replacement is a very minor improvement (if any) ?
Just to pick up this question from last year. The TA circuits in the 102 differ from those in the 82 - presumably to 'Nerf' the 102 slightly so as not to embarrass its more expensive sibling. It is worth modding the 102 to match the 82 TA circuits - but as it is about ten years since i did mine, I can't remember the values, sorry. A search on here should produce the answer.

The TA circuits in the 102 differ from those in the 82 - presumably to 'Nerf' the 102 slightly so as not to embarrass its more expensive sibling. It is worth modding the 102 to match the 82 TA circuits - but as it is about ten years since i did mine, I can't remember the values, sorry. A search on here should produce the answer.
On each channel change the 3 x 5k6 resistors adjacent to the polystyrene caps to 6k8.

advertisement

Back