advertisement

Lakenheath

When I went on Friday morning there were only F-15s, no F-35s. I might go this Friday.

We went Wednesday night and came home Friday , the F15’s went up in the morning just after 9am Thursday .The F35’s went up later on that afternoon, we waited for them to come back , think it was gone 7pm when they came back I’d have to check exif data to be sure . Very tiring day waiting around , we was hoping for quick takeoffs Friday but no luck . The F35’s went up around 1pm Friday

We went Wednesday night and came home Friday , the F15’s went up in the morning just after 9am Thursday .The F35’s went up later on that afternoon, we waited for them to come back , think it was gone 7pm when they came back I’d have to check exif data to be sure . Very tiring day waiting around , we was hoping for quick takeoffs Friday but no luck . The F35’s went up around 1pm Friday
I’m less than an hour away, and was nearby anyway, so it was an easy diversion. I doubt I could get an escape-chit for a whole day!
We’ve a Families Day at Wattisham this Thursday, but there’ll be nothing worth making a special trip for. We might have one or two aircraft pass through going to/from the Clacton airshow. Bit sad really :(

Reactions: ron
Cracking photos, Ron.

I love the F-15s, they look like a proper fighting aircraft from every angle.
The F-35s look as though they're made of plastic and have been left in the sun a little too long.

And the RAF F-35s have quite a problem with corrosion. Lots of corrosion. They'll get there one day, but spending six or seven hours each day, day after day, week after week, rubbing down corroded structure isn't my idea of fun, or aircraft maintenance on a 5th gen fighter!

Cracking photos, Ron.

I love the F-15s, they look like a proper fighting aircraft from every angle.
The F-35s look as though they're made of plastic and have been left in the sun a little too long.

And the RAF F-35s have quite a problem with corrosion. Lots of corrosion. They'll get there one day, but spending six or seven hours each day, day after day, week after week, rubbing down corroded structure isn't my idea of fun, or aircraft maintenance on a 5th gen fighter!

Thanks Tony , I totally agree it'll be a shame when all we see is F35's . I'm hoping to get to Cobra Warrior in September, there's supposed to be a bunch of F16's at Mildenhall

Thanks Tony , I totally agree it'll be a shame when all we see is F35's . I'm hoping to get to Cobra Warrior in September, there's supposed to be a bunch of F16's at Mildenhall

Aaaah, the F-16…. Back in the 70s that was a real-life Gerry Anderson creation! Not so attractive with conformal tanks on.

Any idea when in September?

Aaaah, the F-16…. Back in the 70s that was a real-life Gerry Anderson creation! Not so attractive with conformal tanks on.

Any idea when in September?

I think F-16s are rather beautiful (though I don't know what a conformal tank is), the natural successor in design terms to the great P-51 Mustang, the so-called 'Cadillac of the skies'.

advertisement

Back