advertisement

Labour leadership election (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Labour letting you vote?

Paul

I've not joined the Party Paul, as I live in Ireland.

I've got UK citizenship though, and might enroll to vote for Prime Minister Corbyn in 2020, or sooner if Cameron's war on the poor brings the GE closer :)

What do people think of the Health Service there, given that they have to pay to attend A&E?

It could be better, but then we always complain :)

I wasn't aware that you had to pay for A&E but then I've not had to use it since 1st January 2000.

Here's some brilliant Irish/Scottish music to lift the soul on this miserable wet morning (here anyway)

http://youtu.be/xmyPHfu9c0c

What is it about soldering and right wing beliefs?

20913ye.jpg

<moderating>

I've split the thread as it was getting rather too large. As such the poll is now closed and in the other part, which is a shame, but I think we'd well established the trend here.

You and Phil Woolas.

He's ten years older than me and is essentially a bent Labour politician.

This notion that educated people are left-wing is derived from the same notion that the Left is the moral high ground. There are a few here who are of this mentality.

Centre right, btw, is to the left of the likes of Ian Duncan Smith who is basically a psychopath. This is why we need a credible centre-left opposition party to keep this Tory government close to the centre ground not something totally unelectable that makes a lot of noise.

I am certain that a Corbyn-led Labour government would bankrupt the country leaving us with no NHS and a lot of austerity imposed by the IMF just like in Greece only a lot worse. (I say "would" because unless the British economy collapses in the next 5 years a Corbyn-led government will never happen.)

When politics is based on occupying the moral high ground it is essentially based on blind faith, a belief that it must succeed because it is the right thing to do. Thus, anyone not holding left-wing views is to be vilified and ridiculed.

Fortunately most educated folks living in England and Wales are not left-wing. They may have held left-wing views at Uni but they then entered the real world and grew up.

This notion that educated people are left-wing is derived from the same notion that the Left is the moral high ground. There are a few here who are of this mentality.

Fortunately most educated folks living in England and Wales are not left-wing. They may have held left-wing views at Uni but they then entered the real world and grew up.

Like so many on the populist right you seem utterly immune to cognitive dissonance, Steven.

I'll be voting for Corbyn with no second or third choice. If he doesn't win I shall return to voting Lib Dem or Green

Surely if your aim is to move the Labour party to a place where you can vote for them, then the obvious thing to do is to join that party. By definition the Lib Dems and Greens are not providing what you want to vote for so settling for second best if Corbyn loses seems like an odd approach, no?

Steven, I don't think it's a case of left and right anymore.

The way I see it is there's two ways to run a country:

In the best interests of the people as a whole.

Or

In the best interest of banks, large corporations and the very wealthy.

Anyone who voted Labour in the last election was not voting for the former, though they might have thought they were.

And IMO most who voted Conservative didn't realise they were voting for the latter.

He's ten years older than me and is essentially a bent Labour politician.

Phil Woolas is a racist of the worst type IMO. His fabricated and deeply Islamophobic smear campaign against other candidates and organisations in his seat was one of the most repugnant things I have seen in modern politics.

Surely if your aim is to move the Labour party to a place where you can vote for them, then the obvious thing to do is to join that party. By definition the Lib Dems and Greens are not providing what you want to vote for so settling for second best if Corbyn loses seems like an odd approach, no?

I'm sorry, but I could not be part of a Blairite party typified by any of the other three candidates. They are just too far away from me both politically and morally, plus far too evasive and stereotypically 'Westminster elite' for my taste. I view them as part of the problem with politics in this country, certainly not part of any change. I am a centre-left social democrat, I'll cast my vote to whichever party most closely matches those ideals on polling day. The brandname on the ticket does not bother me, it is what the party actually stands for that matters.

PS The post has been and no voting paper... getting plenty of email spam though.

Steven, I don't think it's a case of left and right anymore.

The way I see it is there's two ways to run a country:

In the best interests of the people as a whole.

Or

In the best interest of banks, large corporations and the very wealthy.

Anyone who voted Labour in the last election was not voting for the former, though they might have thought they were.

And IMO most who voted Conservative didn't realise they were voting for the latter.

I'd go for in the best interests of the country as a whole. I certainly don't want to support the interests of large corporations and the very wealthy but I don't want a bloated state and public sector either.

I was going to say that the older and more cynical I get, the less I trust any politician or political party, but actually I've felt that way from the age of about 16, when Heath and Wilson were slogging it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back