advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

I think we have to accept that the Labour party is not the party those of us on the left want it to be. The question, really, is whether the left can 'do a UKIP' and drag the party in a leftwards direction, in the way that UKIP dragged the Tories to the right. For that to happen, we need a left-leaning, social democratic party which espouses a cause which large swathes of the population will get behind, if given a bit of a nudge. Do we not already have such a vehicle in the Green party?

I think we have to accept that the Labour party is not the party those of us on the left want it to be. The question, really, is whether the left can 'do a UKIP' and drag the party in a leftwards direction, in the way that UKIP dragged the Tories to the right. For that to happen, we need a left-leaning, social democratic party which espouses a cause which large swathes of the population will get behind, if given a bit of a nudge. Do we not already have such a vehicle in the Green party?

Maybe, but they'd have a lot of work to do in becoming an electable prospect: to make environmental issues something to care more about than more immediate / direct issues. They're also open to questioning their competence to run a country - recent issues in Brighton shows they 've struggled on that scale.

Yes. Labour are no only no longer a party of the left, they are no longer even social democratic. Labour are now in direct opposition to all the stated valued of social democracy.

Yes, we have a social democratic party in the Greens, possibly the only one in England.

Maybe, but they'd have a lot of work to do in becoming an electable prospect: to make environmental issues something to care more about than more immediate / direct issues. They're also open to questioning their competence to run a country - recent issues in Brighton shows they 've struggled on that scale.
All those doubts could be levelled at UKIP too, but they succeeded in dragging the Tories a long way to the right despite only ever getting an MP in Parliament due to defections. The lesson of UKIP is not so much that they have to be electable, but that they can garner enough support from Labour's base to make themselves a threat to Labour, thus forcing Labour to 'reinvent itself' in a more Green-aligned fashion.

The game plan, ISTM, would be firstly to get Labour in power (given it's effectively a two horse race ATM) but for the Greens to lobby actively and vociferously for environmental policies. That will play into the concerns of young voters about climate change and, God knows, there's enough other environmental stuff to worry about such as shit in rivers, urban air quality, etc, etc, that many parents will be concerned about.

UKIP played a weak hand superbly well. The Greens should take note.

Blimey, I'd forgotten all about this:

I wouldn't usually link to the JC ( a far-right shit-rag, frankly) but the fact that it was reported there should remove any suspicion of political bias.

Long story short: In 2014, a former BBC manager, Neil Masterson, approached and violently assaulted George Galloway, whom he believed to be "an enemy of Judaism".

Video here:

It really is a horrendous assault.

Accurate:

If a Reform candidate had won a by-election by this margin, every centrist pundit would be lining up to say that Labour must now pay attention to voters' "legitimate concerns". But Rochdale will be written off as an anomaly and blamed on the voters. I wonder why. To be clear, Galloway isn't my candidate, I don't celebrate his win, but I do despair over the complacency of the political commentary surrounding this result.

Hate that we're going to have Galloway's mug inflicted on us for the foreseeable, but still: lol.

Entirely self-inflicted as far as Labour's concerned. Hopefully the left can learn from this: a wrecking candidate can do real damage under the right circumstances, because support for Labour is so thin it can simply evaporate, given an alternative.

I thought this was quite concise:

Long story short: In 2014, a former BBC manager, Neil Masterson, approached and violently assaulted George Galloway, whom he believed to be "an enemy of Judaism".

The right-wing media never bring up Owen Jones being hospitalised by a right-wing thug either despite his attacker being jailed. The people peacefully holding up posters against Tory policy are the real terrorists, obviously.

PS I had no idea the radicalised thug who attacked Galloway was ex-BBC. Amazing.

GorgeousGeorge the untamed returns to parliament (briefly?) to shake the walls for Gazza.
Go George.
Well anything is better than the fat cpmplacency of those currently farting their lives away in Westmister, isn't it?

People in Scotland are long used to Labour taking their vote completely for granted, then turning on them and ignoring them when they don't vote the way they are "supposed" to.
10 years after 45% of Scots voted for self-rule, 17 years after continually returning a pro-independence party to government, a decade of poll after poll showing 48% - 52% support for independence, the Labour Party in Scotland are still treating those wishing independence (and the government they democratically elected) as maverick outliers with no legitimacy. As some kind of aberration or hysteria that will just "go away" if steadfastly ignored.
They still cling to an imaginary status quo that hasn't existed for over two decades and never will again. Their inability to accept and respond to reality is astonishing.

Perhaps we can hope that Feinstein will beat Starmer, Mohamad beat Streeting and many other good independents triumph up and down the country. Then, after a headless Labour win the GE, the few decent MPs they have left join with the independents and the few Unions worthy of the name get behind them to form a party for the many.
I know I'm just a dreamer.....lol

One MP who requires police protection it's Galloway, I wonder if he'll get it?
It feels like there's been a coup d'etat that no one bothered to announce.

Though it may well be a damp squib event.

Galloway gets kicked out for refusing to remove his hat after Sir Lindsay issues multiple warnings.

I wonder if Galloway will take off his hat? He wears it constantly so he might not even turn up in the Commons if he can't wear it.
No hats
No clapping

Acceptable:
Lying
Name calling
Grift
Second & third jobs
Making howling noises
Taking brown envelopes

People in Scotland are long used to Labour taking their vote completely for granted, then turning on them and ignoring them when they don't vote the way they are "supposed" to.
10 years after 45% of Scots voted for self-rule, 17 years after continually returning a pro-independence party to government, a decade of poll after poll showing 48% - 52% support for independence, the Labour Party in Scotland are still treating those wishing independence (and the government they democratically elected) as maverick outliers with no legitimacy. As some kind of aberration or hysteria that will just "go away" if steadfastly ignored.
They still cling to an imaginary status quo that hasn't existed for over two decades and never will again. Their inability to accept and respond to reality is astonishing.
They still imagine Scotland is their fiefdom but they’ll still be a minority party after the GE and Starmer is driving their vote down day by day.

No hats
No clapping

Acceptable:
Lying
Name calling
Grift
Second & third jobs
Making howling noises
Taking brown envelopes
Sorry we are talking about Parliament, not Holyrood. That is where the real action is from the day it was first built. The English are mere amateurs in comparison.

They still imagine Scotland is their fiefdom but they’ll still be a minority party after the GE and Starmer is driving their vote down day by day.
Aye, you're right. But I find it very frustrating that we have such weak opposition in the Scottish parliament.

advertisement

Back