advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

No, you can’t. What you can infer if you must is the Labour party wants to win the next GE and understands where the electorate is at after half a century of centre-right to now hard right govt.
Well, that ignores the 2017 result, and the massive grassroots support Corbyn seemingly conjured out of nowhere.

The question was in the post you quoted and complained about being insulted (apparently, as usual), the one where I quoted you attacking Labour ( as usual ) for being neoliberal when the party ideology is no such thing.

I know the other question I’ve asked a few times will never be answered by the hard left. That I persevered with the question is in light of no good faith response.
LOL

Well, that ignores the 2017 result, and the massive grassroots support Corbyn seemingly conjured out of nowhere.

2017 was a terrible result, frankly. Corbyn did better than he was expected to, but May was a truly useless campaigner.

And Corbyn's grassroots support vanished just as quickly - as soon as he failed to take a position on Brexit - leaving very little left apart from some Momentum bureaucrats. Corbynism never mobilised anyone to do anything apart from briefly join the Labour Party, or sing along to a White Stripes song. There was really very little to it as an activist phenomena.

Just a hunch, I suppose...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...gps-tag-asylum-seekers-migrants-b2239259.html

I mean, it doesn't exactly scream progressive, does it?

There are many examples of Starmer saying outrageously right-wing stuff out there now.

Your position appears to be:

Well, yes, of course Starmer had to lie to the left wing of his own party to become leader, and he now has to lie to the racist gammon of "The Red Wall" to get elected, but I'm sure he would never lie to decent, sensible people like me.

Sounds a tad optimisitic, to me.

And I'm not sure that's a great argument for voting for someone, and it certainly does nothing to restore trust in politicians.

It's a somewhat less than idealistic position- I will give you that but then again my idealism left me about the same time as white teeth and three stone/grey hair walked in. You will find life much easier if you start from the premises that all politicians lie and in fact all people lie.

2017 was a terrible result, frankly. Corbyn did better than he was expected to, but May was a truly useless campaigner.

And Corbyn's grassroots support vanished just as quickly - as soon as he failed to take a position on Brexit - leaving very little left apart from some Momentum bureaucrats. Corbynism never mobilised anyone to do anything apart from briefly join the Labour Party, or sing along to a White Stripes song. There was really very little to it as an activist phenomena.
Treeza’s “Strengthen My Hand” campaign. It was fantastic.

It’s a good point but ignores Labour lost that election.
No, I can acknowledge that, but the point I was making was that the 2017 result confounded most expectations and showed that a left-leaning offer is not automatic electoral death and oblivion. That Labour has chosen not to develop and consolidate that position, but to overtly mimic the ‘moderate Tory’ position shows where its heart lies nowadays.

I used to think TikTok was only for kids but it has a lot of political stuff. It's worth looking at just to see what the enemy (far right) think.
Worryingly, some think the Tories are too left-wing because they let illegal immigrants into to country and put them in hotels. A lot of them are saying they won't vote for Tory or Labour.

No, I can acknowledge that, but the point I was making was that the 2017 result confounded most expectations and showed that a left-leaning offer is not automatic electoral death and oblivion. That Labour has chosen not to develop and consolidate that position, but to overtly mimic the ‘moderate Tory’ position shows where its heart lies nowadays.
I'm not convinced. It'll be 14 years of tory mismanagement by 2024, it is vital they don't win again. Anything with even a sniff of left wing about it will mean monstering of Labour by the right wing tory media, and we know from the supposed anti-tory members here, others will lap it up too.

Last edited:
Keir’s got his work cut out in Scotland, more voters are likely to vote for independence as a consequence of him becoming Prime Minister than less likely. I wonder what Keir’s secret sauce is? What ever it is, they can smell it and it’s working.

Keir’s got his work cut out in Scotland, more voters are likely to vote for independence as a consequence of him becoming Prime Minister than less likely. I wonder what Keir’s secret sauce is? What ever it is, they can smell it and it’s working.
Doubtful because there won't be a referendum.

I can smell a certain fear of a Labour govt doing good things for the whole of the UK from 2024.

I'm not convinced. It'll be 14 years of tory mismanagement by 2024, it is vital they don't win again. Anything with even a sniff of left wing about it will mean monstering of Labour by the right wing tory media, and we know from the supposed anti-tory members here, others will lap it up too.
Which adds up to the Labour Party pandering to the right wing Tory media.

The mistake is to think the Labour Party is doing so against its better judgement. The truth, for those looking, is that Labour are completely on board with the fundamental values of the right wing Tory media.

Which adds up to the Labour Party pandering to the right wing Tory media.

The truth, for those looking, is that Labour are completely on board with the fundamental values of the right wing Tory media.

I do like the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The first problem with your assertion is the term completely on board which could mean will tolerate or happy to promote or anywhere between them. The second problem is that it posits the the right wing Tory media is an homogenous group and doesn’t recognise the plurality of views say, for example, between the Mail and the Times.

Kier is not the most charismatic of potential leaders, but his politics are sound, unfortunately we have social media where most have little interest who runs the country because it has very little effect on their lives.
Unfortunately that thing you voted for in 2016 has a lot to do with that...
But nothing to do with what is happening right now & your comment concretes my point. Everyone who voted were hard right, no, sorry.

Social media is packed full of hard left & hard right forums, this place being mainly left but veering towards the right politically from what i read. Starmer is about as centre as we are going to get right now but folks don't like him, forget the policies nowadays, headlines are much easier to deal with.

Kier is not the most charismatic of potential leaders, but his politics are sound, unfortunately we have social media where most have little interest who runs the country because it has very little effect on their lives.

But nothing to do with what is happening right now & your comment concretes my point. Everyone who voted were hard right, no, sorry.

Social media is packed full of hard left & hard right forums, this place being mainly left but veering towards the right politically from what i read. Starmer is about as centre as we are going to get right now but folks don't like him, forget the policies nowadays, headlines are much easier to deal with.

Well, it does have a lot to do with the state of politics now. Brexit has poisoned British politics and political discourse, and will be having a negative effect for a long time to come.

PS I didn't say that everyone who voted Leave were hard right either.

I really think you set an unnecessarily high bar on what constitutes grassroots support and activism, and a low one on “vanished”. I understand the right’s need to pretend nothing happened but on the left it represents a kind of nihilism. Nothing’s good enough so everything (real) is worthless.

advertisement

Back