advertisement

La Sportiva mountain boots - stick or twist?

Tigerjones

Bagpuss
Around 15 years ago I bought a pair of La Sportiva Trango Evo S (I think). These boots have served me incredibly well over their life until last Saturday when then soles on both heels started flapping around on the decent of Moel Siabod.

There seems to be only one company (in Lancashire) that will resole these boots at a cost of £100 with a 16-18 week waiting time. This is too long for me to wait really.

So, are there any recommendations for a similar boot? They need to be as waterproof as the Trangos (you'd need to go swimming in them to get wet feet) and take a semi automatic crampon (C2), be good for scrambling and not too heavy. I saw a pair of Scarpa Ribble at the weekend and was amazed at how light they seemed to weigh compared to the Trangos but no idea if they are any good.

Cheers
Patrick

Last edited:
I used to sell a lot of those.

I would think you should be able to get them resoled for less. Try Feetfirst or even your local Timpsons.

If you decide to replace them go to a decent shop and try several models on. Be open minded and buy the ones that fit the best. All the top end brands such as Scarpa, Boreal, La Sportiva and Asolo etc are equivalent quality.

If a boot is much lighter it's because they've taken something out. You may find the very lightweight options less supportive.

If the original soles are in good condition and it's just the glue that had failed it could be an easy repair. Basically both surfaces would just need to be cleaned a prepared and then stuck back together with the correct adhesive with a press. Any decent cobbler should be able to do that. However, if the outsole and/or the EVA cushioning layer are damaged then it's going to be a bigger repair job.

advertisement

Back