advertisement

Kudos X2 - Opinions sought

Gomers1607

pfm Member
Hi all,

After a redecoration of the allotted room for musical matters, SWMBO has deemed my Talisman II have outstayed their welcome and an alternative needs to be found.

Of the small floorstanders that may replace them the X2 has come into focus and I'd really appreciate some feedback from past and present owners as to their capabilities and omissions. Like you do, I've checked out the reviews available with some stating a harsh top end in some instances and an inconsistent bass performance but I'd like to get some real hands-on opinion from those who've actually lived with them.

Naim front end and Exposure amplification is the current system but this may give way in future to a decent one-box solution, think Uniti.

Thanks in advance.

I had a pair for 4 years, absolutely loved them. I had them originally powered by a Naim Uniti (mk1) and then a supernait 2. Source was LP12 and then a CDX2 when I used the Supernait.
The only reason I don't have them any more is I moved house and went from a room 5x5 metres to 8x5 metres with higher ceiling and they were struggling a bit to fill the room with sound.

I changed to the X2's from a pair of Naim n'sats as the X2's had a lot more bass than the sat's.

I had a pair for 4 years, absolutely loved them. I had them originally powered by a Naim Uniti (mk1) and then a supernait 2. Source was LP12 and then a CDX2 when I used the Supernait.
The only reason I don't have them any more is I moved house and went from a room 5x5 metres to 8x5 metres with higher ceiling and they were struggling a bit to fill the room with sound.

I changed to the X2's from a pair of Naim n'sats as the X2's had a lot more bass than the sat's.

Thanks for that. Your previous room dimension is on par with mine currently so that sounds promising.

I had them for a couple of years in a room 4.2 x 3.4 metres, playing mostly large-scale orchestral music. I have not heard better small conventional floorstanders. Bass was excellent, so was midrange; top end occasionally a bit harsh, but since I get that with all speakers now I think my ageing ears are to blame.

They were surprisingly easy to drive. I used a ~20wpc valve amplifier and they did just fine. The bottom port made them easy to position.

I've since moved on to omnis; otherwise they might have been keepers.

I was one of the few who bought the last few news pairs for £799 and have to say I’m really enjoying them. They easily fill my room which is approx. 5m x 4m. They are being driven by a Naim Supernait2 and are very musical.

Recently took up the Audio T offer on Isoacoustics Gaia’s and they has further enhanced the already great sound. I would happily recommend both the X2’s and the Gaia’s.

I loved them on the end of Naim amplification but found them to be at their very best with acoustic jazz, folk, and country. They couldn’t match the all round qualities of other speakers I auditioned, but if you tend more towards folky/ country/ acoustic then you should get on famously with them.

I’ve not owned them but have demo’d at length. Hooked up to a Linn Majik DSM (which I’d choose over the similar Naim offering) they sounded very good indeed to my ears. Only available used now I think. My Neats sound very similar (unsurprisingly), it’s incredible what can be achieved with such compact speaker designs.

Really good small floorstanding speakers. At £799, they were a real bargain. I had a pair for about a year. Good punchy bass, and a lively top end ( a bit too lively sometimes but I liked that). Would not hesitate in recommending them if you like a lively kind of sound.

I've had a pair for the last 10 years. I compared them to Neat, Totem Arros and Rega when I bought them. I run them with Rega electronics but I've also listened to them with Naim. I think they are lovely sounding speakers with good looks. I believe they have been discontinued now but there seem to plenty of nice examples available second hand or ex-dem.

I think you dismiss the talismans at your peril, however, they are not the most modern looking things. I tried to beat a pair of talismans for quite some time without spending a fortune. I came to the conclusion that they were fabulous and highly underrated. Just some food for thought. (Btw I sold mine.....)

Best choice (but I am biased, as I have white!). Great speakers plenty of ooomph. I prefer the look of them with the grilles on, but now the white under the grille is very discoloured (had them since about 2014), so if your circumstances allow, maybe best keep them off.

I think you dismiss the talismans at your peril, however, they are not the most modern looking things. I tried to beat a pair of talismans for quite some time without spending a fortune. I came to the conclusion that they were fabulous and highly underrated. Just some food for thought. (Btw I sold mine.....)

I agree, really love the Ruarks but SHE has spoken and I need to show willing. They looked old-fashioned from the outset but are fabulous sounding things and very well made.

Best choice (but I am biased, as I have white!). Great speakers plenty of ooomph. I prefer the look of them with the grilles on, but now the white under the grille is very discoloured (had them since about 2014), so if your circumstances allow, maybe best keep them off.

Thanks for the tip

I have a set on a Supernait (also LP12/Prefix and an nDac). I imagines looking at moving to some larger speakers at some point but the years go by and I just have not. Just can’t fault them as great all round speakers. I did add a sub a year ago and added to the fun but still no desire to move one. One of my best items to happen accross!

advertisement

Back