advertisement

Kudos Super 10 or ProAc D2 speakers

I have owned the SM100, D2's and Dynaudio F160's (the predecessor to the the S40's) and demo'd the S10's numerous times in the hope I'd like them.

Out of them all the SM100s were my favourite but they were easy to break-up when pushed hard.
The F160's just got on and played music and never seamed to struggle when pushed.
The D2 are very good too but they are better suited to certain genres.

i still dont think you can beat those kudos x2 for vfm !! one of the wam mods bought some recently along with a number of others . at 799 quid they are good value

https://www.hifirehab.com/post/come-on-barry-plumb-them-in-11342489?&trail=15

not a good buy methinks.
Good hifi never depreciates that much.
Kudos c30 discontinued not much after their introduction , I came to the conclusion their treble unit never integrated with the rest.
A friend of mine happened to discard c20 because they didn't match the room.
C10 never appealed to me.
Lots examples of a speaker which never succeeded to sound organic just impressive in the first hour.

I have always struggled to enjoy any of the Kudos speakers I have heard.

The I have had the SM100's and D2's. The SM100's were great but as CK said, they tend to lose it very quickly at higher volumes. The D2's lasted around 3 weeks here at home. Couldn't get on with them at all.

not a good buy methinks.
Good hifi never depreciates that much.
Kudos c30 discontinued not much after their introduction , I came to the conclusion their treble unit never integrated with the rest.
A friend of mine happened to discard c20 because they didn't match the room.
C10 never appealed to me.
Lots examples of a speaker which never succeeded to sound organic just impressive in the first hour.
you often find discontinued lines are heavily discounted , arcam is a good example and the x3 at Tysons is still a great deal of money compared to the x2

I have always struggled to enjoy any of the Kudos speakers I have heard.

The I have had the SM100's and D2's. The SM100's were great but as CK said, they tend to lose it very quickly at higher volumes. The D2's lasted around 3 weeks here at home. Couldn't get on with them at all.
If I may ask, what amplifier was used with your D2’s ?

I used a Croft Integrated and then a Croft Pre/Power.
Oh, I see. I’m not very familiar with vacuum tubes amps but this may confirm the D2’s need the grunt of a solid state amp with that extra drive in the bottom end then.
That said, I heard a 2x 7 watts integrated valve amp driving some huge JBL with a 18 inch woofer and a wooden horn and it really was jaw dropping !

Could I ask which Croft power amp you were using?

Also you mentioned break up at loud volumes on the SM100, could you go into detail on that pls?

I was using a Croft 7R with the matching pre.

Happy to go into detail. When I say "loud" volumes it is probably worth clarifying that by saying "louder" volumes. I have never been one for playing any of my systems at rattle the windows levels. Most of my music has been late at night when the kids are in bed and so I could never play at loud volumes anyway.

What I found with the SM100's is they were never very dynamic for me when you turned the volume up - other speakers have an effortlessness to them which the SM100's in my system at the time did not seem to possess. They were very nice speakers, though.

Hope this helps.

I can also add that when I upgraded my amp the SM100s soon showed they couldn't handle the extra power in the bass; It was to easy to make the cones reach their end-stops and/or make the ports chuff.

I can also add that when I upgraded my amp the SM100s soon showed they couldn't handle the extra power in the bass; It was to easy to make the cones reach their end-stops and/or make the ports chuff.
Cheers - I guess as I also use the target system for cinema it counts them out

I was using a Croft 7R with the matching pre.

I used to have Croft 7R monos - as much as I love Glenn's stuff I never got on with the 7s but could be I didn't give them enough of a chance. I can see why 50w output might not be enough for the D2's tho. I currently have his Series 6 valve amp in a second system, really cracking machine, and seemingly rare even for Croft. My local guy serviced it recently, he measured the output at a whopping (for valve) 50w per channel.

btw are your current speakers a variant of Wilmslow SM108 ?

No, they just use the same VOLT BM228.8 driver in a two way stand-mount. Everything else is to my spec/design and requirements.

Different HF unit
Different cross-over point and spec.
Different cabinet volume
Different internal damping
Different port tuning and rear placing
Jantzen reflex port
Atlas OCC PTFE internal caballing
WBT NextGen binding posts
4mm internal bitumen damping on all sides
10mm foam on all sides
A small amount of synthetic wadding to the rear of the cabinet

advertisement