advertisement

Krell KRS 200 mono amps

Tony L

Administrator
Just the thing if you like the sound of an electric meter spinning. Also a useful stand for a Quad 303 or 50E.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Crikey - they're absolute monsters! I cannot imagine where you would position those, let alone the cost of running them.

I shared a London flat with someone with a KSA200 for a while. No way was that electric bill being split down the middle! The house lights dimmed on power-up and the meter spun like a child’s spinning top. Lovely amp, but just so excessive.

FWIW I still think the original KSA50 was peak-Krell. No one should need more power than that. I assume the fans could be swapped with really quiet ones from gaming PCs these days too. I do like the KSA50, it is a very nice sounding amp.

A full recap on each unit, just big psu caps is £600, I did a rebuild on a ksa 200 about 8 years back but I nut and bolted it, every single cap, respray, new transistors, Still made a profit.

A full recap on each unit, just big psu caps is £600, I did a rebuild on a ksa 200 about 8 years back but I nut and bolted it, every single cap, respray, new transistors, Still made a profit.
These are KRS, totally different level of cost, custom everything from Krell. You would have to ship them to Krell in the US for repair, not cheap. I had a pair of KAS-2 and the shipping and insurance was 800, it won't have gone down in cost.

Where are Krell based, in the states?

Yes, it was Dan D'Agostino’s company before he went full-oligarch. The KSA 50 and even KSA 100 were within the range of atainability, bit from there the trajectory was ever upwards. As stated upthread I’ve a lot of time for the KSA 50, just a really good 50 Watt class A amp. but I don’t see how the current stuff serves music lovers. It’s just trinkets for the super-rich.

The guy on Ebay has a fab set up - note the two box ARC pre amp in the background. Are those home brew Apogee's in the corner? Wonderful. Love seeing crazy enthusiast kit

Yes, it was Dan D'Agostino’s company before he went full-oligarch. The KSA 50 and even KSA 100 were within the range of atainability, bit from there the trajectory was ever upwards. As stated upthread I’ve a lot of time for the KSA 50, just a really good 50 Watt class A amp. but I don’t see how the current stuff serves music lovers. It’s just trinkets for the super-rich.
I always thought the KSA80 was the best - no bloody fans. There's one on Ebay that keeps waving at me.

I feel we should all have a Krell in our lives, at some point.
I would certainly like to have a KAV300i which can be had for under a grand, or the much rarer pre and power KAV amps which seem to be quite hard to find.

The really old/classic Krell like these I'd love to collect if I was rich. I love the aesthetics! But that would be a hobby for a multi-millionaire... Anything after the FPB series amps doesn't interest me though, and the "full oligarch" stuff that Dan does now is just stupid-greedy.
Are those home brew Apogee's in the corner?
I doubt it; I'm guessing he's just removed the frames for some reason. Definitely weird.
Love seeing crazy enthusiast kit
I'd say that setup, apart from the modded Apogees, is a classic late 70s highend setup. These are all the original American high-end brands in one system. Krells then were the only amps I believe that could happily drive the Apogees. ARC gear looks like crap to me mostly, but I'd love to have a proper vintage Krell-Apogee system (with a CDP).

I would certainly like to have a KAV300i which can be had for under a grand, or the much rarer pre and power KAV amps which seem to be quite hard to find.

The really old/classic Krell like these I'd love to collect if I was rich. I love the aesthetics! But that would be a hobby for a multi-millionaire... Anything after the FPB series amps doesn't interest me though, and the "full oligarch" stuff that Dan does now is just stupid-greedy.

I doubt it; I'm guessing he's just removed the frames for some reason. Definitely weird.

I'd say that setup, apart from the modded Apogees, is a classic late 70s highend setup. These are all the original American high-end brands in one system. Krells then were the only amps I believe that could happily drive the Apogees. ARC gear looks like crap to me mostly, but I'd love to have a proper vintage Krell-Apogee system (with a CDP).
More like mid eighties. But, yes. A beautiful period set up from the golden age of the American High end.

advertisement

Back