advertisement

Krautrock (!) primer...

I can report that the So Far vinyl re-re-issue comes with a 12" square booklet including images of the art prints, but not actual prints themselves.

I can also say that the IV re-re-re-issue CD has second CD with Peel sessions and other material from the same times.

DS

I picked up yatha sidhra a meditation mass at the same time. This is a stunning album, well worth getting.
Whilst looking into it I found this website, which whilst not Cope, is very interesting.
Don't know if it's been posted before, apologies for any repetition.
http://www.krautrockgroup.com/

Worth a recommendation:

Early Water by Michael Hoenig (Agitation Free, briefly Tangerine Dream, composer of music for the Baldur's Gate games!) and Manuel Göttsching. Originally recorded in 1976 but only relesed in 95, it's really rather good. Bags of polyrhythmic sequencing with (mainly) Göttsching and Hoenig soloing over the top. Very much in the mold of E2-E4.

Sample here.

Avoid:

On the subject of Agitation Free, I picked up the recently issued The Other Side Of Agitation Free album cheap. Thank goodness, because it's dreadful. Most of the original members had left and the rump tried their hand at jazz rock - very very badly. No wonder their record label told them to go and do one.

BTW:

In a late reply to the Grobschnitt question, I've found their most famous album, Rockpommel's Land, to be pretty dire, but Solar Music is excellent. In fact Eroc (the drummer) has compiled a series of double albums entirely of different live versions of Solar Music (which was their equivalent of the Dead's Dark Star but in the improvstyle of say Agitation Free). I've got the first two volumes and they're both very good (nearly all instrumental) and better than the studio version (which is pretty much unavailable now).

Here's a link to Youtube, and them playing a small chunk of it (some versions are an hour long), and another chunk here.

Needless to say, this is not your typical krautrock and many of the supremely cool people here will faint clean away when they witness the 70s rock stylings on show ;-)

Have we had Harmonia "Musik von Harmonia" yet? written by Moebius/Roedelius released in 1974 I think.

advertisement

Back