advertisement

Korf Ceramic headshell

per flemming

Just read about Korf tonearms in a FB group.
They really do look stunning.

Outside my budget, even I have many headshells, their Ceramic HS could be interesting to try.
I thought these were much higher priced.

Anyone with experience on a 1200GR, or would that not make sence ?

ABK-edit-2020_0003_1000x1500.jpg

One of the Japanese manufacturers in the 1970s offered ceramic headshells, SAEC I think, maybe others too. Conceptually I’m a little skeptical as ceramic is a very resonant material, you can literally make a bell out of it. It all depends on how it behaves as a structure with the cartridge installed and mounted in the SME socket.

The Korf blogsite is very interesting though, there will certainly be some science and testing behind this thinking.

PS Rega’s thinking behind their ceramic platter is interesting, as I understand it they worked with the resonance and ensured it lay in an area that was damped by other aspects of the platter structure.

I remember emailing Mr Korf as to why he had not included titanium in his testing of armtube materials. His response was to say it was sufficiently like steel as to not make testing worth the effort! I also emailed him about adding diagonal bracing to the headshell and he replied it wasn’t worth doing and the primary bending mode lay elsewhere. The armtube of his new arm is now titanium and this headshell includes some diagonal bracing. Next he will be reducing some of those sharp plane transitions. For someone who claims to have used finite element analysis you would never know. In fact it rather highlights the problems of using such software - you still have to know how to set up the model and how to interpret the results.

I have one I bought for my SL1200 II tonearm. I'll report back when I get around to installing it. What cartridge were you thinking of using?

Good question, the list is long.

I have a couple of Sumikos of the Oister range awaiting.
Rainier, Amethyst amo.

But other choice as well, I need a new stylus for my Goldring G1042, always liked these.

Also a few Coils, Goldring Eroica L, EMT TSD75, Audio Technica AT33PTGII, the latter is on my deck as I write.

I have previously considered a Jelco HS20 to complete my "collection" of headshells.
Korf came rather unexpected on list yesterday.
Looking forward hearing your thought.

Other than that it looks like plastic it's cool.

I am all for looks when it comes to TT's. Not much else to recommend them for :)

I've not tried the Korf but have a number of other well known headshells with my GR and now G. The best fit I've found to my taste is the Oyaide HS-CF. More recently paired with a Nag MP500 and Sumiko Starling
dot.jpg

I would like to try the Korf among others but with so much money already spent on what I have so far its infeasible for now
dot.jpg

The nicest headshell I’ve used on my Technics, replacing the Sumiko Headshell I was using, is a DENON PCL-5. 6g mass, magnesium and lovely to use due to integrated finger lift. I use mine with a Reson Reca MM cart.

Can be found for under £75 easily.

advertisement

Back