advertisement

Koetsu?

Some folks are suggesting that ESCo only retip using the Paratrace stylus. Unless things have changed fairly recently, ESCo should still be able to retip with a range of styli.

I was put off Koetsu a long time ago simply because of the AS chap, I never heard a good word about his explosive personality from anyone in hifi and didn’t want to make him richer.
I can't in all honesty ever recommend anyone in the UK ever purchase any Krell equipment due to the fact that you will be forced to deal with AS (either directly or indirectly). Having had that pleasure, I have zero confidence in them. My Krell Amp is currently a paperweight in the spare bedroom.

Maybe seek out an independent audio tech @gez I'm sure there's someone who can help revive your Krell
I have been in contact with someone who was recommended on here. They basically said they were very busy and were of the opinion that it was unlikely to be fixable due the fact it uses a lot of small SMD components. I may end up sending it to them eventually. Currently not working and looking for a job so can't afford it now. I have a Hegel as a replacement, so I'm in no particular rush.

Jeez! A full class A paperweight! In fact, a heavyweight paperweight. :D
Thankfully it's one of their newer integrated amps. Even so it's still about 22kg boxed up. I already have an old MF A370 in there, so definitely didn't need another 40kg monstrosity taking up space :oops: :)

I've got a Koetsu Onyx Platinum, that I dropped, broke the body, was told it was irrepairable.
Maybe I'll send it to AS , see what they can do.
Oddly, there is a guy on eBay right now who may be an industry insider. However he got them, he has what appears to be original Koetsu bodies including Onyx for ridiculously low prices. I can’t imagine they’ll be available for long. But I’m a bit skeptical as the Onyx has a centerline down the front which I have never seen on an actual Onyx. Either way, even if it’s a good fake, it can possibly be the only opportunity for you to rebody your Onyx.

Of all the cartridges I have owned (Shure M75 ED mk2, Sonus Blue Label, Lentek Entre One, Linn Basik, Dynavector Karat Ruby, Dynavector Karat Diamond, Audio Technica AT32E, Asak, Karma, Supex SM100E, VdH MC10, VdH MC One, Koetsu Black Gold Line, Lyra Helikon SL), the two that were the must musical and thrilling were the Supex SM100E (a MM cartridge!) and the Koetsu Black GL.

Of course the performance of the cartridge also is inextricably linked to the tonearm and the phono stage. For instance...I never really liked the Shure M75EDii until I tried it out in a Syrinx PU2. The Linn Basik sounded brittle and harsh in a LV-X but was a groove-master in the Ittok.
This list does not even include cartridges that I had on home demo (various A&R Cambridge, Goldrings, Nagoaka etc etc).

There is something magical that the Koetsus manage to introduce that is completely absent in most of the others. It is the 'je ne sais quois' factor that has you listening to album after album, after album just effortlessly basking in the musical glow.

There is something magical that the Koetsus manage to introduce that is completely absent in most of the others.
Gutsy and musically entertaining, the Blk, Goldline, but even if it was made by Koetsu (dubious), it was a hoot but not a refined one. Go up to the Urushis and beyond (though I haven't been beyond) and the mystical magic magnifies the music. How I love alliteration ! :D Moved to Transfig. Proteus; breathtaking in its transparency (which Ks are not). Still have my Vermillion though; really must get it back into action.

advertisement

Back