advertisement

Koetsu?

I've got a Koetsu Onyx Platinum, that I dropped, broke the body, was told it was irrepairable.
Maybe I'll send it to AS , see what they can do.

I've got a Koetsu Onyx Platinum, that I dropped, broke the body, was told it was irrepairable.
Maybe I'll send it to AS , see what they can do.
Unfortunately they cannot help I’ve had 2 returned to me that were with koetsu and cannot be repaired
Suggest you contact North west analogue

I was put off Koetsu a long time ago simply because of the AS chap, I never heard a good word about his explosive personality from anyone in hifi and didn’t want to make him richer.
Mr Richer is a much nicer chap, I understand, but never sold Koetsu.
I reviewed the Coralstone recently and it was a truly lovely thing.
Yes, that was touted as the sweet spot of stone bodied Ks and tempted me as well. There were strange discrepancies in their line-up from time to time, and of course they all come with conspicuous amounts of spec's and guidance; conspicuous by their absence, that is. Tonally, they were indeed a class apart in presentation; hence their (mystical) allure, I guess.

Plenty of cartridge retippers and rebuilders that will be able to keep them going. I sent my Urushi Sky Blue for some attention and a retip to Groovetickler in the US last year and it came back absolutely signing. It will go back again when it needs it.

Plenty of cartridge retippers and rebuilders that will be able to keep them going. I sent my Urushi Sky Blue for some attention and a retip to Groovetickler in the US last year and it came back absolutely signing. It will go back again when it needs it.

I follow him on IG, his work looks second to none. Some of the repairs are staggering. If I ever need one doing it will be going to him.

I've got a Koetsu Onyx Platinum, that I dropped, broke the body, was told it was irreparable.
Surely an insurance job assuming you have the usual accidental damage cover under 'Audio-visual' which was standard with most domestic contents policies. This, I find, has changed slightly in rece4nt years as to be included in more premium policies or by taking out a slightly higher priced 'limited' (or extra) element.
This sucks. What does it mean for Koetsu owners? We now have a piece of junk?
Not necessarily, as they could become collectible, as it were. I only know of 3 cart. refurbishers (Esco, N.W. Anaolgue and Goldring) but there are a couple/ew on the continent. I would want to exhaust possibilities nearer to home before sending to the States or Japan. I have a Proteus and a Vermillion and I'm hoping Goldring, who have an exc. reputation and DON'T use Paratrace styli, may be able to do these.

Surely an insurance job assuming you have the usual accidental damage cover under 'Audio-visual' which was standard with most domestic contents policies. This, I find, has changed slightly in rece4nt years as to be included in more premium policies or by taking out a slightly higher priced 'limited' (or extra) element.

Not necessarily, as they could become collectible, as it were. I only know of 3 cart. refurbishers (Esco, N.W. Anaolgue and Goldring) but there are a couple/ew on the continent. I would want to exhaust possibilities nearer to home before sending to the States or Japan. I have a Proteus and a Vermillion and I'm hoping Goldring, who have an exc. reputation and DON'T use Paratrace styli, may be able to do these.
This is why I use Groovetickler now as he carries almost all of the different stylus options, unlike ESCO who Paratrace everything. NWA and ESCO were very hit and miss for me in the past anyway.

One thing I will say about a Koetsu retip though, getting the same as an original diamond is hit and miss because Koetsu never published what they used. Its a guessing game and no-one really knows, other than they were from Ogura.

May I ask how and with which courier did you send it to the USA for repair please?

It came back signing?

Well, that’s no good - you want it to make some noise!! ;)

From my recent experience Mike Goldring's work is exemplary, they do full rebuilds not re-tips. Old detritus cleaned out of the body, new tie wire/suspension, coils re-wound, boron cantilever & micro ridge stylus fitted. Turnaround time is about 4 weeks and it comes back looking and sounding like a new Koetsu. They even added colour coding rings to the cartridge pins which Koetsu never bothered with! Mine was a Red Sig.

I sent my Urushi Sky Blue for some attention and a re-tip to Groovetickler in the US last year and it came back absolutely singing. It will go back again when it needs it.
I follow him on IG, his work looks second to none. Some of the repairs are staggering. If I ever need one doing it will be going to him.
Very impressive indeed
Royal Mail tracked and signed. On the customs form state it’s for repair.
From my recent experience Mike Goldring's work is exemplary, they do full rebuilds not re-tips. Old detritus cleaned out of the body, new tie wire/suspension, coils re-wound, boron cantilever & micro ridge stylus fitted. Turnaround time is about 4 weeks and it comes back looking and sounding like a new Koetsu
Very useful info. and esp. the corroboration on the Stateside refurbishment people. I'd be interested to know how much the Royal Mail postage, insurance etc. costs were. Also, the $ or £ cost of repair and return of your Urushi (was it a re-tip, canti. or complete refurb?).

Of the domestic people, only Goldring (Mike? Son of original or the chap's name at Goldring?) has had a consistently high praise, although I didn't know they did Koetsu. Sounds like the same 'warts 'n' all' refurb. as done by K themselves. Wonder if they do Transfig. as well.

T.b.h., I would much rather have stuff done in this country if poss. than abroad, assuming similar service excellence; less to go amiss.

advertisement

Back