advertisement

Koetsu Urushi -- Old Review

I am still none the wiser as to its cartridge headshell weight for ordering the right Tonearm Wand for my Morch... I assume its similar to a Black

A red dot is recommended on the Moerch site for the Urushi, blue is recommended for the Black, IYSWIM. I expect it will sound splendid on any of them provided you can balance it out okay.

Ok. I had it confirmed as Blue dot - I popped into Walrus and asked just now. Current Urushis are now made of wood hence the lighter red dot armwand but these original older ones by Sugano San/Sr are indeed alloy and more like the black in terms of weight. I may even need a fourth counterweight if I get the precision armward (groan!)

Now I understand what the term "sex on a stick" means.

(assuming a precision blue dot Moerch arm wand can be called a 'stick')

Fox,

Ignore that review, as you are no doubt aware, according to the Flatulent Response ™, Koetsu cartridges do not even sound as good as an old Linn basik.

As I am obviously concerned for your vinyl welfare, and, in an uncharacteristic spirit of philanthropy, I am prepared to take that nasty Koetsu off your hands and swap it for a NOS basik or even a K9...;)

Of course that was the Koetsu Black/Gold Line they referred to, and I am sure that the Basik cartridge had the stylus assembly superglued into the body giving it an enormous unfair advantage:D

I replaced a good condition Karma with a Koetsu Black and was astounded how boxy and slurred the Karma was in comparison. Although over twenty years have since passed I can vividly remember the very first LP I challenged it with- Emmylou Harris 'Pieces of Sky'. In retrospect, the Koetsu was by far the most musical cartridge I have ever owned, and this was their entry level product.

Koetsu cartridges do not even sound as good as an old Linn basik.

As the world is getting ghastly during the Easter break I have decided to go home and stick my Urushi in the end of my Morch and have a listen. Moar later in the appropriate thread...

advertisement

Back