advertisement

Knackered Lancasters

At the very least locate and price a proper pair of Monitor Gold cones before even considering them. Then price the time, effort and additional materials to get them where you want given a genuinely nice fully working pair of Lancs can still be found for £2-2.5k-ish. Also worth noting that the visible compressor driver is a later plastic-back HPD type. They’d be worth more if the original Gold ones were still present. It is the correct replacement part, but it is not original to that driver.

I was considering these for a summer project as not far from me but might have been convinced to give them a miss now.

Well I think I’ll give you a free run if you still want to! I hate seeing stuff like this in a poor state but have to draw the line somewhere.
I should do posts like this more often, I’d save myself a fortune.

Thanks for the advice all.

I’m always pleased to see classic kit saved from landfill, but I suspect their new owners will end up paying way over the actual value to restore those at that price. Cones, if you can even find any, will likely be £600 or so by now (I think I paid £350 for my spare ones, but they were available back then!), even the plastic magnet covers for for at least £100 each, and then you’ve got to get it all to work properly.

That's a mad price imo. I watched what looked like a decent enough pair of 15" Lancasters sell for ~1600 a year or so ago and the only issue they had was missing grille cloth and badges.

(might have been slightly more, but thereabouts)

Crumbs.. were they owned by the Dambusters? How do you allow such a lovely speaker to get into such a state, never mind the actual driver getting damaged.

advertisement

Back