advertisement

Klipsch

YEP! those look like the ones.do you use a riser to lift the fronts ?

No, in both rooms I've tried them in they sound better to my ears slumped flat on the floor, the bass just seems to integrate better. In the TV /office system I spend most of my time slouched / lying on the sofa, so I'm not that high above them. The TV / office system is far from ideal really, the amp, a Marantz PM7200, is not really what one would choose for Heresys. I plan to change it at some point, but to what I'm not certain. As this system is used so much I want something fairly 'green' so tubes are out. I've got a Quad 303 knocking about doing nothing so I might rope that in with a passive pre...

Tony.

anyone here use the klipsch corner horns?
i've had mine for nearly a year now and must say i'm totally blown away with them, the imaging and pace of them is stunning.
the ability to start and stop instantly (well sounds like it!) is shocking in a good way.
I must say though i did try a hi-fi world KT88 amp and didn't get on with it, sounded slow and soft.
i'm still looking for a good power amp to drive these, what are people using with the H1/2's?

*whimper*

53474267.jpg
98456414.jpg

How close? Two blocks away. How much? $1k/offer. I'm being tested, I know it.

This has me excited. A friend is giving me his early H2s whenever one of us gets the chance to see the other and with a car that can carry them (we're 600 miles apart).

PS - a simple riser trick from the Klipsch forums is to use a rubber sanding block under the front. I must say that that does a pretty decent job with a pair of L100A's currently in the house.

Cheers

Keith.

I just noticed Audio Emotion in the UK lists Klipsch including Heresey III so don't know if they actually stock them?

I just read this thread with great interest. I wasn't sure if Klipsch speakers would appeal to audio heads in the UK, but apparently, there are some who can appreciate the Klipsch sound. I own a pair of Klipsch Forte II's that I purchased a few years ago for $475 USD here in California. About 3 months after buying them, I contacted Bob Crites Speakers in Arkansas. Since I am a DIY guy, Bob advised me to purchase his crossover upgrade kit, which consists mainly of Sonic Craft Sonicap Gen I metallized Polypropylene film caps and a set of electrolytic caps for the low pass filter. Additionally, I ordered a pair of Bob's Titanium tweeter diaphragms for the the HF compression drivers. Replacing the tweeter diaphragms was a breeze and the results were noticeable after about 10 hours playing time. The treble smoothed out. Once I replaced the crossover caps, the sound became more refined and musical. Many of my audio buddies who never considered Klipsch speakers or heard them are astonished at how natural and dynamic these speakers can sound. I bought the Forte II's, because they have the same magic as the Heresies in the kids and highs, but they also have a matching, full-bodied low end response. I drive these with a refurbished and modified Dynaco Stereo 35 6BQ5/EL84 P-P amp and a stock Audio Research LS-7 tube line stage amp. During warmer weather days, I use my vintage Sony TA-3030 SS amp instead of the Dynaco. I would think a Leak 20 or something comparable would be a great match.

If you can find a pair of the larger Forte I's or Forte II's, these will easily outperform a pair of Heresies. Not knocking the Heresies as they are great speakers, but the bigger, bolder bass really completes the sound. If you want the most out of your Klipsch speakers, I encourage you to contact Bob Crites at http://www.critesspeakers.com/, and get his tweeter diaphragms and crossover upgrade kits. Klipsch designed some great speakers, but put budget-quality crossover components to keep their products at their respective price points. Many Klipsch enthusiasts have discovered that upgrading with Bob's mods/tweaks really get the most out of their speakers. Lastly, Bob also sells floor risers for the Heresies, which will maintain the bass reponse while raising the stereo image and enlarging the soundstage. One could easily fabricate a pair to save on money.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever compared Heresies to comparable Tannoy speakers? In the US, Tannoys are as rare as Klipsch speakers are in the UK.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever compared Heresies to comparable Tannoy speakers? In the U.S., Tannoys are as rare as Klipsch speakers are in the UK.

I'm not sure if there are any comparable Tannoys, maybe 3LZs? I've got a pair of Heresys and a pair of 15" Monitor Golds, the latter give a much bigger and more powerful sound, they have better tonality, and let more info about the venue out too, but there is something I love about the Heresys despite this. They are just so musically coherent and they nail a piano like very few other speakers, they get the dynamics / percussive aspect right somehow. I'd very much like to try some bigger Klipschl; LaScalas, Belles or even KHorns (not that I have anywhere to put the latter). I've been looking for a good pair of LaScalas for years to be honest, I'd really like to find a nice clean vintage pair in natural plywood, but the odds in the UK is close to zero. I suspect they'd bring the scale of the Tannoys along with what I like about a three-way horn system. I love the Tannoys, they really have a magic of their own, but I feel ultimately they suffer a little in the mid - there's only a certain amount a 15" paper cone can do at close to 1khz! Tannoys are a unique speaker as just so many classic albums were recorded with them as main monitors / mastering monitors, and given that they have a character, these albums never seem to sound entirely right on anything else to my ears!

Well i am lucky enough to have a pair of 1984 Belles and have spent some time researching what i need to do to get them singing and went with some of Al Klappenberger's cross overs (universal networks) which are very good indeed, i have also replaced the metal mid horn with some of Dave's (Fastlane Audio) wooden mids and treble horns. I still have all of the original parts as i like to retain the original components but the changes are huge especially in the larger mid horn area-they also look (to me) like some of the most beautiful objects that the HiFi world has come up with. I would recommend Al and Dave for Klipsch "upgrades".
I was going to build some khorns and had it all planned out until i found a Tannoy Westminster plan and went with it, the resulting speaker is a dream really, live bass and precussion to state the main shock but its all there but as Tony says there is always a compromise with these things but as a whole the Tannoy's win out-addictive listening and am still getting use to the slight sense of un-ease (in a good way) about how low they can go, Leonard Cohen is so tangible on these things (i don't like LC):)

Have a look on the North Reading Engineering site hosted by John Warren there is a good Khorn build there guided by John who built some from the original Elecrovoice plans (not Speakerlab).

Cheers Si...I am building a replica pair of belles as i type (glues just going off) directly from the originals that i own-fun.

Well i am lucky enough to have a pair of 1984 Belles and have spent some time researching what i need to do to get them singing and went with some of Al Kippenberger's cross overs (universal networks) which are very good indeed, i have also replaced the metal mid horn with some of Dave's (Fastlane Audio) wooden mids and treble horns. I still have all of the original parts as i like to retain the original components but the changes are huge especially in the larger mid horn area-they also look (to me) like some of the most beautiful objects that the HiFi world has come up with. I would recommend Al and Dave for Klipsch "upgrades".

Thanks guys for the feedback. I forgot about Al Klappenberger's (ALK)crossover networks for Klipsch Heritage series speakers (http://www.alkeng.com/). I am interested in the possibility of trying his Forte II crossover to compare to my Bob Crites crossover upgrade. Bob Crites' crossover upgrade kits basically replace the crossover caps of the stock crossover networks, while ALK's crossovers are designed from the ground up for Klipsch speakers. I've heard of those Fastlane horns, and one of my audio friends is considering the midrange horn for a DIY "Cornscala," a hybrid design from Bob Crites mating the mid and treble section of the La Scala with the bass bin of a Cornwall.

I suspected that the Tannoys (and even Tannoy clones) are winners. They have a special place in audio lore, and they are virtually unobtainium in the US unless one wants to sacrifice 1-2 month's income.

Another popular horn/dynamic woofer driver speaker is the Altec Model 19. These are very special speakers, and another audio friend found a pair in mint condition for $850 USD. They're about the same size as a Cornwall or La Scala, and sound really balanced and seamless. These have their roots in the infamous Altec A-7 Voice of Theater horn speakers that pervaded many mid-20th century movie theaters in the U.S.

I don't know much about the Altec models but will have a read, the Cornscala looks a good design and easy to build from the various plans on Bob's site. There seem to be a few different designs so it seems a on going trial with different mids etc but it does seem from the Klipsch forum that many people have built them.
I was lucky to find the Belles here in the uk and took a bit of a leap of faith as the picture on e-bay was blurry to the point of not being able to recognize a veneer but after some elbow grease they came up very nicely-they are Walnut but some who have seen then think its rosewood.
I was expecting to be hit with import duty etc when i ordered the new mids from Dave but was lucky and the other drivers are cheap in the scheme of things. Am keen to build the Jubilee bass bins (PWK's last design) but there is a huge horn (402 i think) that i would have to buy fro the USA but it's very tempting.

Anybody using the Heresy II heard or been tempted with the III?
I d be interested if there's much of a difference?

Not heard the III, but the pretty much unanimous verdict over on the Klipsch forum is the III beats the II pretty conclusively and is the best Heresy to date. The MkI tends to be preferred to the II. Apparently the III is more extended both up and down, plus a little more efficient. I'd like to hear some one day.

PS if you have IIs there is apparently an upgrade kit available to convert IIs to IIIs.

Not heard the III, but the pretty much unanimous verdict over on the Klipsch forum is the III beats the II pretty conclusively and is the best Heresy to date. The MkI tends to be preferred to the II. Apparently the III is more extended both up and down, plus a little more efficient. I'd like to hear some one day.

PS if you have IIs there is apparently an upgrade kit available to convert IIs to IIIs.

Thanks Tony

I m listening on home dem to IIIs at the moment and finding them very enjoyable and engaging - they manage to capture the emotional essence of a song very well

I m listening on home dem to IIIs at the moment and finding them very enjoyable and engaging - they manage to capture the emotional essence of a song very well

That's really a Klipsch trait to my mind, it's exactly what I like about my Heresys (very late MkIs, kind of an intermediate step between Is and IIs). They also get something fundamentally right about piano that so much audio kit misses, I haven't quite figured out what, but they really do capture the essence of the thing. I like them a lot. I'd very much like one day to try LaScalas, Belles or Cornwalls.

advertisement

Back