advertisement

Kit that, irrationally, you’ve always just wanted…

I used to own an LP12 and did so for many many years. However whenever I saw a Gyrodec I just wanted it for those spinning weights, but never liked the perspex 'case'... then they produced the skeletal SE and my want want into overdrive. However all those years ago I'd listened to a Gyro against my LP12 (Ekos/Arkhiv/Lingo etc.) and felt the LP12 was better. Fast forward to about 6/7 years ago and I was hardly using the LP12 so I sold it. Three years later I wanted a turntable back in my life (should never have sold the LP12) so thought sod it... and bought a Gyrodec with a Techno arm and Rega Ania. Is it as good as my LP12... probably not, but it is not far off and.... those looks. It's a design classic... so glad I have one at last. The LP12 is a fine turnable, but a looker it is not... The Gyro is a very very good turnable and a masterclass of industrial design.

Spendor SP100 probably. They would be far too large for my room, but I'd love to give them a go nonetheless.

Inexplicably I've also always liked the look of the spiky Alchemist Kraken with the green hammerite finish. Apparently doesn't sound as interesting as it looks, but I do like the looks.

literally just cleaned up and put a BX-125 Nakamichi into the garage.

Needs a belt kit and a tune up..
After hanging on to it for over 35 years, I recently sold my BX-125. Couldn't bring myself to toss my mix tapes though. Maybe there's another Nak in my future.

I'd second the Tom Evans "The Vibe" Pre, plus I'd add:

Tom Evans Mastergroove
Meridian 808v6
PS Audio BHK power amp(s)
DS Audio cartridge

I've scratched so many itches (as it were) over the last few years, but these and some other 'lofty' equipment has eluded me to date!

Most B&O stuff from the ‘90s. Regardless of the sound, the look and feel were amazing IMO.
aa4500aa.jpg

Aiwa adf-660 and a Walkman DD ii. Actually bought them around lockdown time. Recorded one TDK SA90 with a selection of 80s hits and listened to it twice. I still have that tape and three blank ones shrink wrapped. The Aiwa and Walkman went to the big bay in the sky about a year ago. :rolleyes:

I have a bucket list that I have worked my way through, mainly speakers, top of the list to try are mission 770's ( original ) and spendor bc1. I know full well that I would never be satisfied with them in my main system but would love a wee shot. others that came and went were ls3/5a,esl57's rodgers export monitors, maggies, Bricks,epos es14's and more. I had to have an original musical fidelity the preamp which didn't last long, would love to try a koetsu and a syrinx pu2. I will get there eventually as I buy cheap and move on with little cost to myself.

Rgds
stuart

Tannoys - proper ones. Not Westminster - too silly for any reasonable living room.

Eatons would do. Wife would got nuts at even the thought of spending money on such frippery.

The one plausible is Quad ESLs (57s). I’ve wanted a pair since I was a kid, have always liked them when I’ve heard them, even had a pair in my living room for an afternoon. I just have nowhere to put a pair, even anywhere to store a boxed pair. I’m sure I prefer my huge Lockwoods overall, so never really go any further with it. That said if I was offered a genuinely mint, boxed and fully working and balanced pair I’d be very tempted.

Pretty much everything else I fancy is either physically impossible, e.g. Altec VOTT (my room is far too small, and I don’t like large rooms!), or crazy expensive to find the truly mint examples I’d insist on (EMT 930, Leak 12.1 etc). Lots of other stuff looks real cool but I don’t think I need, e.g. Transciptors Ref, Micro Seiki DQD1000, Gale turntable, Dynavector DV505, Pioneer Spec rack system, full Nakamichi rack system, any number of studio master open reels, humongous blue-face JBLs, Klipschorns etc etc, but I don’t need any of them.

FWIW I have a feeling I’m actually done! I still look at eBay every day, but it is just an audio nerd curiosity thing, plus it makes pfm a few quid sharing listings here. I just like looking at stuff. I’ve been happy with my main system for many, many years now, nothing has changed at all aside from I added a little vintage Teac mixing desk and a Walkman Pro so I can deal with pretty much any source now. The upstairs system is almost ‘done’ too. I’m pretty sure I’ve come to the conclusion I prefer the JR149s to the LS3/5As (though there is no need to sell them). I’d like some slightly lower speaker stands, maybe wood ones. 60cm is a bit too high for 149s.

In 2017 I suddenly had a moment of craziness, sold my 282/SC/250 combo, gave in to a long-dated, irrational fancy and bought a Luxman L-590 AXII - Class A 35W, large V-meters, classic Japan..
Never done such a mistake. It was petulant, lean, devoid of any musical interest. Luxman discontinued it shortly afterwards.

Some fancies are better left fancies.

advertisement

Back