advertisement

Kieth Jarrett

MUTTY1

Waste of bandwidth
Have just got a mint vinyl copy of the Kohn Concert so I can hear it properly at last. Wonderful stuff.

For fans of his solo stuff I would humbly recommend ' The Moth and the Flame' also just arrived - it drags you in to get lost in the music - stoned without the dope.

Paul

hi paul, it always amazes me that everyone mentions koln concerts as the must have jarrett solo, but i prefer the slightly earlier triple lp set which came out around 73.
this was one of the first "jazz" albums i ever bought (from black sedan records ,oxford road,manchester)
probably the only jazz record my wife can tolerate! hell, she even likes it
ian

what was it ?

The Kohn is a bit of a dissapointment sound-wise. 'The moth' is a stunning recording - have been on repeat most of this evening - often just listening to the sound of the piano. The album it is paired with - 'innovations'- has a soprano sax solo - not easy stuff but the way he starts picking up the notes that are decaying in the accoustic to carry on the tune beggars belief. Love it to bits !!

Paul

I just started listening to Jarrett. The second CD on the Bremen set is very good, not so keen on the first though.

I've read that the Paris concert is very good, anyone heard it? In the meanthime I'll try to check out the 'Moth'.

~ ~ Dave

Hello Jarrett Fans: Have to confess to being a total groupie.
A few favourites are:
"The Melody At Night With You" Solo Piano '99 ........ listen to "My Wild Irish Rose for stunning simply perfect piano jazz.

"At the Blue Note" Trio - Live NYC '95 - a six CD set ....... all the standards - all sorts of arrangements and variations. Luverly !
The version of "When I Fall in Love " is astounding both musicaly and sonically.

" Facing You" an oldie - Solo '74 ? A real good'un.

If you're into piano jazz - look for Gonzalo Rubalcaba - an amazing
Cuban pianist. Can find him on some Charlie Haden stuff.
Also check out Gene Harris (in the Ray Browne Trio) Sounds like Oscar at his best - but to my mind - more sensitive by far.
................ keep listenin' !

Originally posted by Sebastian

If you're into piano jazz - look for Gonzalo Rubalcaba - an amazing
Cuban pianist. Can find him on some Charlie Haden stuff.
Rubacalba is an amazing pianist.
Sometimes his taste does let him down, though.
I got his album "Supernova" after listening to the first track - and the album was worth it for 5-minutes in which Latin Jazz is taken to a new and amazing place IMMHO.
The rest of the album is, er, filler. We don't need nearly straight, or indeed any more versions of La Macanera.
Also check out Omar Sosa particularly "Sentir". Stonking.
Not a huge Jarrett fan for some reason, but his recent output has been good. Nice little trio he has going, too.

Bit hasty here. I think it was because the 'MOTH' was new [ have been listening to Kohn for a couple of months on CD] But also the venue? Moth is a studio session; solo piano tends to be better in this situation than live I think. Anyway - Moth - demo quality and a very interesting composition.

Ps also got 'Expectations' - Anyone else find it differcult?

It was this cd that brought the world of Mr J. to my attention and latterly I found a new Koln concert on vinyl, which is nice.

I subsequently added quite a few new ECM vinyl releases, as my local Fopp was selling them for around £4 to £6 each.

Never did get on with some of his more recent stuff, e.g. La Scala. A bit too meandering for me.

What's he done recently that I should check out?

jtc

What's he done recently that I should check out?

His standards trio stuff (with Gary Peacock on bass and Paul Motian on drums) is mostly excellent. "Live at the Deer Head Inn" is a favourite of mine.

-- Ian

If you like Koln concert, you may enjoy the 3 disk Bremen/Lausanne which I prefer.

Of his recent output, I really like The Cure, Live at the Blue Note and Live at Dear Head Inn.

Hock

advertisement

Back