advertisement

Keto vs Vegan diet - the results are in

sean99

pfm Member
Full disclaimer - I'm a vegetarian (on compassion, not personal health grounds) so I am not an impartial observer to this debate.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/primar...1433?xid=nl_popmed_2021-03-04&eun=g1465870d0r

However, to quote the article:

"it's profoundly impractical to lock people up in a room and monitor everything they eat and do. Well, that's exactly what they did over at the NIH, the National Institutes for Health, in the U.S. They convinced 21 people to spend a month locked up with all their food provided."

And the key results:

"people ate significantly less on the plant-based diet right from the beginning. they actually consumed about 700 calories less per day. Quite strikingly, this was seen in every single participant.This is simply because plant-based diets and plant-based foods are just lower in calories per gram, so you feel full and you've eaten less calories."

"With the lower caloric intake of the plant-based diet, people lost more body fat, not on the keto one. They lost more water weight on the keto diet,but body fat was not significantly reduced with the keto diet."

Discuss (grabs low carb popcorn).

The loss of more water weight on the keto diet will be significantly due to the lack of carbs. Carbs cause the body to retain water. This is often why people lose weight initially with a keto diet but then put some of it back on due to the calorie consumption difference you mentioned.

Perhaps it depends on how much body fat you start with? Did they also lose muscle mass?

If you gave me a plant only diet I’d eat significantly less.
I can’t stand broccoli, sweet potatoes, kale, raw tomatoes, aubergines.
I am not keen on carrots either.

I lost a stone in weight over the course of a month or two when I became a vegan last year and since I first landed on 10 stone 8 nine months ago, I've not seen anything above 10 stone 11 since. I literally hover between 10 stone 8 and 10 stone 11, depending on food consumption and energy expenditure. Regardless of motive, going vegan is the sure-fire way to find your body's natural operating weight. Obese vegans? Does not compute.

If you gave me a plant only diet I’d eat significantly less.
I can’t stand broccoli, sweet potatoes, kale, raw tomatoes, aubergines.
I am not keen on carrots either.
Roasted sweet potato is sumptuous, and collie, sprouts, butternut squash yum all done in the oven with a bit of OO drizzled on. I do eat meat though just saying.

I lost most of my excess weight on the South Beach diet, which is essentially a low GI lifestyle. My weight fell from 115kg to a low of 82.5kg. That was over a period of a couple of years ending about 10 years ago. I've been eating a mostly plant-based diet for the last eight years. I'd like to think that has been a key factor in keeping my weight around 85kg without too much attention to calorie intake or even eating high GI foods from time to time.

Thankfully, I love all vegetables. I'd happily sit down with a bowl of lightly steamed broccoli drizzled only with hollandaise and scoff that for lunch.

Not many. But many rachitic ones.

Yes, veganism does attract people with a history of eating disorders, as they tend to obsess over food and diet more than non-disordered people so end up trying different diets.

But there’s also a growing number of top-level athletes going vegan too. Again, probably because they think more about diet (but in a positive way) so don’t just stick with the standard norms of eating that society has.

I'm on the Latrell Sprewell diet: chicken, fish, and pasta. Mostly. I bounce between 145lb and 155lb. Lighter in the summer when I'm biking a lot, and heavier in the winter when I'm skiing and lifting.

I am very suspicious of what a keto diet does to your kidneys in the long term.
A mixed diet meat, fruit and veg, but low on refined carbs is probably closest to what out bodies are tuned for.

I'm currently on (what I myself call) a LCLF diet. Basically much less carbs. I previously ate about 6 or 7 slices of Swedish hard bread for breakfast, now only two, etc, etc. There is quite a lot of veggies and fruit involved. Less hungry than I thought.

I am very suspicious of what a keto diet does to your kidneys in the long term.
A mixed diet meat, fruit and veg, but low on refined carbs is probably closest to what out bodies are tuned for.

I’ve friends who have been vegan for over 40 years, since they were in their mid-teens. They’re all very healthy, just the usual age-related rubbish you’d expect.

Humans DON’T need to eat meat.

Physiologically, maybe, but that's easy to say for us rich countries with a profusion of products at hand, many of them imported. Depending on the environment they live in, many humans DO need meet, if only for practical reasons.

Even over here, people doing hard physical work tend to eat a lot of meat. If they could do without, I guess they would, as a veg diet comes cheaper.

Then there's the people who eat meat beause they enjoy it. It makes them happier. It's their choice.

I’ve friends who have been vegan for over 40 years, since they were in their mid-teens. They’re all very healthy, just the usual age-related rubbish you’d expect.

We don't have the long intestines found in the vegetarian primates, so a human needs to eat a heavily processed vegetarian diet, much of which is not sourced locally in many countries. Protein deficiency is very common to this day in Asia, where many children like to eat just white rice by choice.

advertisement

Back