advertisement

Kenwood receiver with spring reverb and drum machine!

I had a sansui spring reverb ...back in the day...the one with the knob on it to adjust the tension / change the reverb...

Absolutely awesome piece of....rubbish

I saw Slicker perform live once (John Hughes III...yes, son of that John Hughes), in which he made heavy use of a spring reverb to the extent that he would frequently lift up one end and drop it on the table for the sound.

That's the end of my story.

There is a whole world of spring reverb. They are a huge part of what make the better guitar amps the better guitar amps as far as I’m concerned (I have a Rift PR6 which has a traditional valve-driven spring reverb and sounds amazing), plus obviously it is the sound of ‘70s dub reggae! Bizarrely the spring made so famous by ‘70s dub was actually a hi-fi unit, a Fisher valve-based Space Expander from the 1960s:

An amazing sounding thing!

Springs are making a comeback in synths. The various ARP 2600s have them as does the Moog Grandmother.

I also have a Eurorack one with a big F* off reverb tank on it.

Stephen

I picked up a Pioneer valved spring reverb in a box of odds and sods, seemed like an answer to a need that didn't exist still have it somewhere,had nice Matsushita branded,EL84's ,I think
Also had a Marshall reverb unit cabinet rescued from a skip site ,cost £3 IIRC,put it on the bay and some collector in Germany snapped it up.Date stamped 1972 I believe.
Didn't think there was much call for them

Last edited:

That, right there, is where the UK ‘flat-earth’ went wrong. From this point on I won’t be able to look at modern hi-fi without wondering where the hell the drum machine and reverb tank is.

Why would you do this to me, Tony?

I never knew this existed before, so I never knew I needed one. And now I do.

Thanks a lot. :mad:

advertisement

Back