advertisement

Kelvin Labs M60 Dual Mono Class A Power Amplifiers

deltaunit

pfm Member
If I were keeping my Lali's this pair of mono power amps would likely be mine.

Probably due a service, if the stated diagnosis is wrong and it isn't transformer hum it might also be a bad/cracked rectifier diode. Really impressed with my little KL integrated and think this is an earlier design possibly with some germanium transistors in it. 2x 60w? If a fishie wins I'd love to see inside. Go find another!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A single one of these came my way last year. I don't know if it was a prototype but all the internal boards were simply veroboard and most had snapped off at the corners where they were mounted inside the case.

Frankly the whole thing looked lethal, so I chopped the mains lead off and sold it for spares!

Did it have any germanium transistors in it by any chance? The earlier versions of the integrated had some iirc but still managed some amazing measurements. Would seem odd to repurpose a case for a mono amp though...

What’s the different connections.. two sets of speaker posts and an AC and DC set of phonos..?

Did it have any germanium transistors in it by any chance? The earlier versions of the integrated had some iirc but still managed some amazing measurements. Would seem odd to repurpose a case for a mono amp though...
No, it had standard FETs in; nothing germanium.

Weren't they used in the early SS amps in the 60s like the Leak Stereo 30 with a reputation for blowing? Who would want to use them in a more modern amp, or were they supposed to sound better?

No, it had standard FETs in; nothing germanium.
Weren't they used in the early SS amps in the 60s like the Leak Stereo 30 with a reputation for blowing? Who would want to use them in a more modern amp, or were they supposed to sound better?
Leak stereo 30 did indeed use germanium transistors. I had one many years ago and didn’t get on with it but it was low powered and as I was in my teens I probably listened at clipping volumes all the time! To me it sounded harsh but with no dynamics.

Germanium transistors are reported to have a sound, if you look up Keith grant he built his mixing desks only using germanium transistors for “the sound” long after they were obsolete. His home mixing desk was still using germanium to the end. I visited his home studio after his passing to buy my ns1000 that were used in his studio as monitors.

Strangely I went from a leak stereo 30 to a pioneer a400 briefly then to a kelvin labs integrated which I loved. I kept that amp many years, all through uni and beyond and it really was a sweet little thing on the end of ProAc super tablette/studio 1 mk2 and just about managed imf tls50 in a small room.

advertisement

Back