advertisement

Keltiks and DSP

poppop

pfm Member
Hi All

Anyone using a miniDSP 4 x 10 HP as a crossover?

Its been suggested that I could use this with Linn Keltiks as I have the crossover points. I had been using my mates Keltik Klimax XO's and was very happy with them. If I could find a pair they would cost around 2k. So the idea of spending $500 is attractive.

I assume that I could/would dump my present preamp and simply fire the Zen mini MkIII straight to DSP/ Power amps.

Ive been having a read through the DSP manual, and to my mind, it certainly isnt plug n play, but I wondered if working through a number of days things would become clearer? I think my main concern is there appears to be so many variables, that getting the optimum requires a level of knowledge I don't have. i.e much more involved than setting Bass/Treble levels!

Any thoughts on this being a good way to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

I’m almost certain it can be done, could be some work though to work out the correct specs, there is some EQ and phase correction built into the Keltik crossovers so you’ll need to sort out more than just crossover points and slopes to get them sounding their best. Might be worth speaking to @sunbeamgls, he writes custom filters for Exakt systems so he may be able to help... I’ve heard some of the custom filters he’s created, the guy knows what he’s doing!

Can I also suggest you join the Linn owner’s group on Facebook, there’s a guy on there who has some experience writing filters for the MiniDSP and knows Keltiks, English isn’t his first language but he seems a knowledgeable chap, he may be a valuable source of information.

Hi Linnfo

Thanks for that.

I've seen "sunbeamgls" on the lejonklou site, he has contributed to Keltik threads - so worth talking to on 2 counts!. Good call, I can but ask if he can give me a bit of guidance.

Steve

Side note: I wouldn't dump the preamp. Regardless whether the minidsp will digitize the signal, the effects of the preamp on the music signal will be sorely missed.

I did wonder about the preamp, which If I ever get this going it will be interesting to try both setups. I just felt if you could reduce digi - analogue - digi - -analogue the final result would be better.

Steve

The only thing you need to know about keltiks is they produce lots of low frequencies.

alignment of the speakers in the room and removing the sub 100hz nodes will give you a superb sound.
Well you need to know a bit more if you’re going to create a DSP crossover profile for them, but yes, they do produce a lot of low end, that’s where that DSP will come in very handy. I’d love to try a pair on an Exakt system, although I fear they’d feel a little physically imposing in my current listening room.

I have Ninkas and now have a Sizmik filling in the bottom end, not quite Keltiks but I do have some of that scale and presence back that I miss from the Keltiks. Well sorted Keltiks were as good as it got for me, loved them!

The alignment will be particular to the installation, so there’s no general fits all profile.

I personally prefer to sweep the lf with an oscillator and dial down the problems by ear. But REW and a Umik achieves the same thing.

Aligning an Exakt is still very much an iterative process done mostly by ear.

I’m almost certain it can be done, could be some work though to work out the correct specs, there is some EQ and phase correction built into the Keltik crossovers so you’ll need to sort out more than just crossover points and slopes to get them sounding their best. Might be worth speaking to @sunbeamgls, he writes custom filters for Exakt systems so he may be able to help... I’ve heard some of the custom filters he’s created, the guy knows what he’s doing!

Can I also suggest you join the Linn owner’s group on Facebook, there’s a guy on there who has some experience writing filters for the MiniDSP and knows Keltiks, English isn’t his first language but he seems a knowledgeable chap, he may be a valuable source of information.

Thanks for the thought and the mention. I think MiniDSP is a very different interface to Exakt and hence I don't think I can help. But a good idea that you raised, just in case :)

Thanks for the thought and the mention. I think MiniDSP is a very different interface to Exakt and hence I don't think I can help. But a good idea that you raised, just in case :)
I’m not a software guy at all myself, you have more knowledge/patience than I do. Electronic hardware I can work with all day but computers... nope, I just glaze over.

Hi All

Thought I would just come back and let you know where Ive ended up, as you were all decent enough to give me feedback - I chickened out! Had a chat with a couple of guys, and had a read around, and decided I just dont have enough fundamental knowledge to make a DSP work properly.

However, as Im now in my mid-sixties and Im certain this will be my final system, and despite a more limited cash flow, I decided to push the boat out and bought a pair of Klimax XO's around Xmas time, dating from c2001. Ive also just purchased a further pair of Avondale Voyagers (220 Board) from a fellow "Fishie" (Chilli), and what an utterly fine experience it was.

So the system at present is Zen mini MkIII + External power supply, LP12, Melody valve pre (Sophia Valves), Avondale mono 110's with 220 Boards(Treble), Avondale Voyager 220's (Mids) Avondale Voyager 200 (Bass).

Have spoken to Les, and he "may" have time in the next month or so to upgrade the 200's to 220, and (if "Er" indoors will allow) will have a new pair of Voyager 300's built - which will be used for the mids, with the 4 x 220's on the Bass.

Quite excited, Stahlmann sounds great now - at least to my ears - and as many would point out they must be flawed if I like Keltiks!!

Thanks again
Steve

Hi Steve, another Keltik fan (and in Scotland too). I'm so glad you stuck with the analogue route.
I have gone through two sets of KXO but went back to the mono cards, I just feel they do some stuff better than the KXO, I must be deaf lol.
I also have mixed my Amps up trying to play to the strengths of different Amps for different duties.
Will pm you.

advertisement

Back