advertisement

Keltik or Komri a worthwhile upgrade to Isobariks?

Stick with what you have got and maybe go active.
Yes. Def go active. Ive done an a and b dem with bricks and keltiks aswell. Bricks wipe the floor in all aspects. Thete is so much musicality in bricks and thre tight bass . Amazing. Not seen that in any of the latest speakers out there. Even the 50k plus ones. Been to so many hifi shows. Not been all that impressed. Im going to stick my neck out and say. Active Bricks . Nothing can beat them.
Bricks will live forever.

A friend who has played with keltiks recently, says that with exakt they finally have come good and can be made to sound great!

I'm pretty wary of a speaker that needs thousands of pounds worth of active amplification and equalization to sound ok.
Well Keltiks were active only from the outset, you just got to choose your amps unlike models with inbuilt amps. The downside of Keltiks is that they tend to need plenty of room around them and/or a well damped room. Get them right and they sound great.
Also, you now have the option of the Akurate system hub and the Akurate Exaktbox i, total outlay is £7638 for both units but that’s your complete system, minus the speakers.

That may well actually be my next long term system (albeit with Ninkas on the end of it).

That isobarik midrange must have coloured your judgement as well as your music ;)

As the owner of Isobariks since 1988 and having gone active in the mid 1990's, people on this forum will know I am a great believer in the capabilities of these speakers. I have posted elsewhere about the need to sort room effects dealt with so you know that what you're listening to is in fact the speakers.

Having just acquired this modified pair of Isobariks I find myself siding with Simon Hamnett and comments from his customers about the effect of changing the midrange unit in Isobariks.

I would suggest the original poster might want to consider changing drivers in their Isobariks starting with the midrange units.

Regards

Richard

Im an avid active believer. Separating the signal before the amps allows each signal to be better controlled and purer without interference from the others. IMO. I don't however believe in equalisation. What ever comes from the sourse should go straight to the speakers without adjustments. Also room corrections should be done physically (if possible) rather the digital. ( these are my opinions based on what Ive experienced throughout the many years playing with hifi) . It is a very expensive game. But so addictive.

That is an awful lot of money.
I agree, it is, but in the context of a speaker that cost as much as Keltiks did (when new), it’s not an insane sum, and it’s very justifiable with a speaker like the Ninka too... still, it’ll take me an awful lot of saving to pay for it, especially since I now have to self isolate for the foreseeable future!

Is there a lower cost non branded solution?
Yes, you could build a Pi based streamer and use a MiniDSP and your own power amplifiers, you might save a few quid but you’d have to write your own crossover profiles, it won’t anywhere near be as slick to use and it’s unlikely to sound as good.

The entry level Exakt system isn’t cheap, but you’re getting a lot of tech packed into those two boxes, and it works very, very well.

Yes, you could build a Pi based streamer and use a MiniDSP and your own power amplifiers, you might save a few quid but you’d have to write your own crossover profiles, it won’t anywhere near be as slick to use and it’s unlikely to sound as good.

The entry level Exakt system isn’t cheap, but you’re getting a lot of tech packed into those two boxes, and it works very, very well.
Hmm, that's quite a lot of technology. I hoped you were going to say a pile of amps and a Behringer XO would do most of it.

Hmm, that's quite a lot of technology. I hoped you were going to say a pile of amps and a Behringer XO would do most of it.
I don’t know much about the behringer crossovers or how customisable they are but a MiniDSP or Linn Exakt crossover can apply both intricate driver correction and time alignment as well as taking care of room correction... and of course the Exakt system does include a very competent streamer... and the entry level system includes eight channels of power amplification.

You don't seem to have had much response on the Komri side of your question.

IMO they are one of the best speakers I've ever heard and far better than both Isobarik and Keltik.

HOWEVER, whilst you might eventually find some in the £10-15k range, most people have them as their "end game" speaker so they don't come up very often. Even more HOWEVER, is what you'd need to spend to get them to sound right. They're going to show up any shortcomings in what feeds them. I wouldn't bother unless you have a Klimax front end - TT or streamer and at least the analogue active crossovers of course. With Exakt I'd say Akurate Katalyst Exaktbox is the minimum. Amp wise, Akurate amps are the minimum - Klimax all the better of course.

Komris with KEDSM / Klimax Exaktboxes and Solos are something to experience. Megabucks of course. Linn haven't really got close on the speaker side since then.

You don't seem to have had much response on the Komri side of your question.

IMO they are one of the best speakers I've ever heard and far better than both Isobarik and Keltik.

HOWEVER, whilst you might eventually find some in the £10-15k range, most people have them as their "end game" speaker so they don't come up very often. Even more HOWEVER, is what you'd need to spend to get them to sound right. They're going to show up any shortcomings in what feeds them. I wouldn't bother unless you have a Klimax front end - TT or streamer and at least the analogue active crossovers of course. With Exakt I'd say Akurate Katalyst Exaktbox is the minimum. Amp wise, Akurate amps are the minimum - Klimax all the better of course.

Komris with KEDSM / Klimax Exaktboxes and Solos are something to experience. Megabucks of course. Linn haven't really got close on the speaker side since then.
I’d love Komris but as you say, VERY rare, and expensive, and I’d have to turn my current listening room into the main living room, open out the archway between the current living room and dining room and then turn that into my new listening room... ain’t gonna happen. In the very long term I’d like to turn my current living room and dining room into a kitchen diner and then demolish my current kitchen and build a new, large orangery, that space would take Komris no problem... just need a miracle to happen first!

advertisement

Back