advertisement

Keith Jarrett Standards Vol. 1

I may have over-indulged a bit in Jarrett since this thread was live. I have mixed feelings. There is a bloated quality to a lot of it: every time I go to pull a record off the shelf I find I already feel sated.

I’m now largely immune to the atonal gibberish vocals and I’ve become quite a Jarrett fan. I now have tons of his stuff. I think, he is a huge talent but a poor editor and as such releases way, way too much. I’m sure I now have too much! One could argue average Jarrett is still pretty damn good, but gven the huge quantity of really good Jarrett there are a fair few I’d not bother playing again.

To my mind he does two things stunningly well; the ‘standards’ trio, which can be viewed as a latter-day take/development on the classic Bill Evans Trio, and the long sprawling solo piano improvisations. For me these are best illustrated by the two large 6xCD boxes At The Blue Note Complete Recordings and The Sun Bear Concerts. I could maybe live with these as my complete Jarrett collection, but I won’t as there is a lot of other good stuff in both forms. There is a fair bit of stuff that for me is a level down though, and that I see no need to keep. Some for other reasons, e.g. I just don’t get on with Jan Garbarek’s sax style, so all that stuff tends to get hoofed out pretty swiftly!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Never got on with Garbarek either, but love the Trio. Glad you’re getting some enjoyment out of that huge bundle I sold you Tony! Funnily enough, I’m really into Bill Evans right now.

Live at the Blue Note box set is a masterpiece. A milestone in jazz piano trio and unmissable IMO

Oh yes, a Great one, worth comparing the two version of a simple blues "Things ain't what they used to be".

I am idly reading pfm while listening to ‘All the Things You Are’. I am getting intensely irritated by Keith’s ‘noises off’ and thought I’d search to see if anyone else felt the same way.
Jeez!
"All the things you are" : IMHO the best of the standards 1 and 2. IMHO, apart from this tune, there has been much better recordings after. Too bad it's almost over, he could play everything.

advertisement

Back