advertisement

Kef wireless 50's

Because you can have your cake and eat it!

You lose none of the mini monitor 3D stuff when played quietly, but you can have world class full range monitor stuff when you're in the mood for a blast.

I'd argue that was true with the better 'big 'uns' too, e.g. Tannoys, Quad 63s etc, (both coincidentally point-sources). Assuming you can find a reasonably pair-matched pair of Tannoys (annoyingly hard with vintage ones) they can image amazingly well and don't fall apart up close the way multi-driver speakers tend to.

Quad 63s are probably better listened to close up. The lack of vertical dispersion is a major limitation if listened to at a reasonable distance in a large room. That said, although I find it very limiting, my mate who owns them doesn't seem bothered by it at all. Mind you, they have have sat at the back of the room for months whilst he uses his JR149s or LS3/5A (semi-active 3-way) instead.

Steven Toy's Tannoys were pretty decent. Most of the old Tannoys I've heard at Scalford (I accept this may not show them at their best!) were not to my taste.

Scalford (I accept this may not show them at their best!) were not to my taste.

Scalford put me off Tannoys, and I'd pretty much written them off until I heard Tony's, which sound fantastic. Since then I've heard a few more in people's homes and I've always liked them. The RFC Canterburys might be the best speakers I've ever heard. But then Scalford also put me off ESL 63s, until I heard Robert's. The truth is that its damn difficult to integrate a pair of speakers in a hotel room, especially for all types of music.

tried berkeley in my system with upgraded xo just recently. they were stunning in many ways. my pair was unfortunately slightly weird FR wise with a weird dip at 1khz so I returned them.

what they do well is scary good. ill try to find a well measuring pair of hpd385a. I am however not totally sold on certain aspect of the tannoy representation.
I don't think I mentioned "mashed transients", only the decay. I doubt that the several amps I own were struggling with the P3s, they seem to be able to drive Gale 401s to high levels without strain.
I didn't try the P3s without lf assistance. The improvement by converting all these small speakers to semi-active 3-way is so huge I don't even bother to listen to them as 2-ways anymore.

My own speakers are these:
http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=CAOW1.html

I wish I could find something that comes close to them, but so far have failed with JR149, LS3/5A, P3ESR, LS50, ESL57QA, ESL63, Gale 401 (all crossed to my lf system).
Suggestions welcomed!

the decay aspect of p3esr is fascinating.
why a speaker would make decay sound shorten? I also have noticed this phenomena.. curious if anyone have a opinion

edit: just plugged my kef ls50 again.
will give them a last chance

Had a quick ESP Mood shoot-out and stand by my earlier view the 1991 red-border is the best that I have access to, and by quite a margin. The Quintet 65-68 box and the copy in the Complete Columbia set are either very similar or identical and sound very clear and detailed, but too bright and thin. The red-border copy just breathes far better, especially around the bass and piano and the whole thing hangs together as an ensemble better. Miles's horn sounds great to me via the Tannoys, bite without being piercing (I set my systems up using Sometime My Prince Will Come amongst other test albums so Miles with mute always sounds bloody good here!). I'd really like to find a Japanese 35DP or 32DP of ESP as I suspect they will be the original mix (all of mine are I'm sure remixes).

PS I was going to link to Someday My Prince Will Come on Amazon, but it looks to be out of print as all that is available looks to be EU copyright loophole shite or original CDs at about £30! As such I'll link to The Perfect Miles Davis Collection box again (which contains a great master of SMPWC) as it is just a stunning bargain that everyone with the slightest interest in good music should own. The only excuse not to is if, like me, you already have every album in it!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
..As such I'll link to The Perfect Miles Davis Collection box again (which contains a great master of SMPWC) as it is just a stunning bargain that everyone with the slightest interest in good music should own. The only excuse not to is if, like me, you already have every album in it!

I've got pretty much all of those too! You've no doubt read Miles: The Autobiography co-written with Quincy Troupe, but just in case you haven't I can recommend it as a wonderful read - there's kind of a chapter about each of those albums so you can read it and listen to the music corresponding to that period in his life, and gain a lot of insight and understanding. Really worthwhile.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks, I read a library copy many years ago, really should get a copy and re-read it as I know his music so much better now.

Miles said:
Dizzy was my idol then. I used to try to play every solo Diz played on that one album I had by him. But I liked dark Terry, Buck Clayton, Harold Baker, Harry James, Bobby Hackett, and Roy Eldridge a lot, too. Roy was my idol on trumpet later. But in 1944 it was Diz.
Billy Eckstine's band had come to St. Louis to play at a place called the Plantation Club, which was owned by some white gangsters. St. Louis was a big gangster town back then. When they told B that he had to go around to the back door like all the other black folks, he just ignored the mother****ers and brought the whole band through the front door. Anyway, B didn't take no shit off nobody. He would cuss and knock a mother****er out at the drop of a hat. That's right. Forget about the playboy look and air he had about himself. B was tough. So was Benny Carter. They both would drop anybody they thought was disrespecting them in a minute. But as tough as Benny was-and he was-B was tougher. So these gangsters right there on the spot fired B and brought in George Hudson, who had dark Terry in his band. Then B took his band across town to Jordan Chambers' Riviera Club, an all-black club in St. Louis, located on Delmar and Taylor-in a black part of St. Louis. Jordan Chambers, who was the most powerful black politician back in them days in St. Louis, just told B to bring the band on over.
So when word got around that they were going to play the Riviera rather than the Plantation, I just picked up my trumpet and went on over to see if I could catch something, maybe sit in with the band. So me and a friend of mine named Bobby Danzig, who was also a trum-pet player, got to the Riviera and went on in to try and catch the rehearsals. See, I already had a reputation around St. Louis for being able to play by that time, so the guards knew me and let me and Bobby on in. The first thing I see when I got inside was this man running up to me, asking if I was a trumpet player. I said, "Yeah, I'm a trumpet player." Then, he asked if I got a union card. I said, "Yeah, I got a union card, too." So the guy said, "Come on, we need a trumpet player. Our trumpet got sick." This guy takes me up on the bandstand and puts the music in front of me. I could read music, but I had trouble reading what he put in front of me because I was listening to what everybody else was playing.
That guy who ran up to me was Dizzy. I didn't recognize him at first. But soon as he started playing, I knew who he was. And like I said, I couldn't even read the music-don't even talk about playing -for listening to Bird and Diz.

I think now you can just read it online here

There seem to be several threads about the Kef LS50W so I'll start here.

Got a pair of these on order. These are potentially supplanting Naim DacV1, Naim NAP200, and Tannoy xt6f's. I will be keeping my digital front end (custom NUC and microrendu all fed with linear power supplies via. HD Plex and Uptone LPS1).

Questions:

1. Any reason why Kef supply only 3m Ethernet cable to link the speakers up? Totally impractical when you consider these speakers deserve to be on decent stands. So, has anyone used longer cable Ethernet cable on theirs and, if so, is there any worth in considering an Audioquest Cinnamon to connect the two speakers. I guess that partly comes down to the information that is sent over it. Given that there's a DAC in both speakers I'm guessing it's digital encoded signals.

2. Any idea what the amplification component is?

3. Guess we can't do a lot about the PSU in the Kefs (I'm assuming it's a SMPS) but anyone know if there's any AC noise filtration or output stage filtration? Can't find any shots of the other side of the backplate.

On the whole I'm looking forward to trialling these out. If they get me the same quality of sound as my current setup then that'll do for me. Frankly I'm fed up with the 'merry go round' of trying to achieve system synergy.

I'm only concerned about their bass handling abilities as I'm used to big studio monitor actives. If they have an SMPS I would worry about their lifespan. Perhaps this is unfounded?

I'm only concerned about their bass handling abilities as I'm used to big studio monitor actives. If they have an SMPS I would worry about their lifespan. Perhaps this is unfounded?

My Tannoy's have a bit too bass heavy in my main listening room (3.25 x 5m) so I've figured that the LS50s will integrate better in that space.

I thought SMPS were more reliable than big linear supplies?

The only thing that I'm not so cheery about is the automatic standby after 60mins (due to EU directives).

I've been trying to find folks who've pimped out/modded their LS50W's. There is a USB comms interface which means it should be possible to access the operating system (probably embedded Linux?).

Oh, and forgot to add that if the bass is lacking then I plan to look into a compact sub fed by the LS50W sub-out. I have an Antimode on my HT setup so I'd experiment with whether that nails integration with the Kefs . I've got a BK Monolith in the HT set up which is very good so quite tempted with sticking with one of their smaller subs.

KEF have just released a firmware update, might be worth looking at if you haven't already, they are super speakers, incredible value for £2k.
Keith

I noticed Kef offers only one year warranty, and there are too many things inside smth can go wrong.
I wish there was a bypass button to deactivate their Dac and amplifier, so you can still have passive LS50.

Under basic UK consumer goods law you'd be good to argue against a failure for six years as I understand it.

Under basic UK consumer goods law you'd be good to argue against a failure for six years as I understand it.

If you live in UK.;)
Even though it would be nice to try them with different amplifiers or Dac, that would be even better bang for the money..

I noticed Kef offers only one year warranty, and there are too many things inside smth can go wrong.
I wish there was a bypass button to deactivate their Dac and amplifier, so you can still have passive LS50.

I don't see the point of that. The whole premise of the LS50W is that the DAC and amp are engineered for the LS50 drive units. I've got a Naim DAC and amp and there is no way I plan to disrupt the design goals of the LS50W by feeding them from external amplification/conversion.

Just buy a pair of LS50s which you can now get sub-£1k. No idea if that's good value as I've yet to hear them. That will change on Friday.

It isn't that simple.
If the fault occurs after six months, the consumer has to prove that the problem was down to a fault or issue at the manufacturer, as opposed to wear and tear or misuse.

In accordance with a law known as the Statutes of Limitations, consumers have this right for six years in England and for five years in Scotland
There is not an absolute right to a repair, replacement or refund. This is because the consumer has to prove the fault is not down to misuse or wear and tear but a fault.
The consumer has to be able prove there was a defective part at manufacture.
So you are then into needing independent engineers reports to back you up.

Also as this is an originally EU law it is likely to go out with the baby and the bath water post Brexit.

My Tannoy's have a bit too bass heavy in my main listening room (3.25 x 5m) so I've figured that the LS50s will integrate better in that space.

I thought SMPS were more reliable than big linear supplies?

The only thing that I'm not so cheery about is the automatic standby after 60mins (due to EU directives).

I've been trying to find folks who've pimped out/modded their LS50W's. There is a USB comms interface which means it should be possible to access the operating system (probably embedded Linux?).

I'd say if your already thinking of tinkering with a pair before you even try them then there not the speaker for you, get a passive pair and tinker with dacs and Amps.

That's the whole point the active version,they are a high quality solution for music lovers,fit forget and just listen to music.
If you want to play with different dacs and Amps just buy a passive pair.

advertisement

Back