advertisement

KEF LS50 wireless speakers?

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
These tick a lot of boxes for me as part of a set up in the near future. Only heard them once in passive form and thought they were a bit 'in your face', but only listened for 10 mins or so. They have gathered a lot of accolades and some charges of brightness for sound quality. There doesn't seem to be much interest on pfm; I take it folks are not impressed?

I've had no long term exposure to either the passive or active versions, but have been mightily impressed when I've heard them demoed.

However, I have heard that people do tire of that 'in your face' aspect after prolonged usage. It would be interesting to get the views of a present or previous owner

I didn’t like the passive version as I thought they were bloated in the bass, I don’t get along with ported speakers, that’s what I put it down to.
When I heard the active wireless version I thought they sounded much better than the passives and almost bought a pair but went another route instead.

I had the passive version for a while. I liked them a lot, though I agree with the above: the tweeter can get a bit hard. I paired them with a few different amps and settled on a Yamaha A-S2000. That was a nice match.

If only for the sake of going to a "one box" solution, I'm still interested in the wireless version to replace my Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand/Yamaha A-S801/Roon Endpoint that I use in a second system for tv/music/more casual listening. Best Buy had the black and grey versions on sale for $1800 USD the other day, but now they've gone back up to $2500. I wonder if that was a fluke?

Bluesound powernode 2i & add
speakers of your choice.
BluOS is a MUCH better app & I dont think the sound of the active ls50’s is anything that special.
Only my opinion.

Had the passive LS50's for a while - read the hype and have had other Kef's I liked a lot. Sold them on putting it down to me not "getting" it as so many people were raving on about them. Actually preferred some RS1's.

They were at their best on some serious wattage 250/channel, but out of place in my main system, I just tried them out of curiosity.

The wireless App initially from all accounts was pants, maybe it's better now.

Agreed, BluOS is a very good interface, up there with SONOS.

Gus

I've had no long term exposure to either the passive or active versions, but have been mightily impressed when I've heard them demoed.

However, I have heard that people do tire of that 'in your face' aspect after prolonged usage. It would be interesting to get the views of a present or previous owner

Often, when you're 'mightily impressed', it doesn't last.
I certainly found that with speakers.
Wasn't impressed with my Spendor BC1s initially, but the Dealer said keep them for a couple of weeks.
They're still with me 45 years later...

I wonder about wireless speakers.
All that electronics between the source and the actual speakers.
No doubt some PFM members have had experience of this system.

These tick a lot of boxes for me as part of a set up in the near future. Only heard them once in passive form and thought they were a bit 'in your face', but only listened for 10 mins or so. They have gathered a lot of accolades and some charges of brightness for sound quality. There doesn't seem to be much interest on pfm; I take it folks are not impressed?
Got a pair ! Much better than the passive pair Dynamic with extra refinement throughout

Had the passive LS50's for a while - read the hype and have had other Kef's I liked a lot. Sold them on putting it down to me not "getting" it as so many people were raving on about them. Actually preferred some RS1's.

They were at their best on some serious wattage 250/channel, but out of place in my main system, I just tried them out of curiosity.

The wireless App initially from all accounts was pants, maybe it's better now.

Agreed, BluOS is a very good interface, up there with SONOS.

Gus
I bought my pair when the active’s had just come to market and yes the app was utterly pants so much so I almost gave up and sold them.
Glad I didn’t because the various software updates fixed all the bugs.
Decent rock solid stands are a must.

I have heard them at a demo. If I have to downsize in my retirement they will be top of the list. A pair of these and an internet connection with a Ipad and you are away. IIRC I think you must use an I-thing to control them - no Android option?

Ipad & LS50/LSX is all 99% of non audiophiles will ever need
Use a pair on my desktop for over a year now , brother in law heard mine & purchased a pair next day

I'm interested in the KEF LSXs for my small listening room. They look ace and they're truly wireless. I wish they didn't have the cloth covering though - I think it looks daft.

I have heard them at a demo. If I have to downsize in my retirement they will be top of the list. A pair of these and an internet connection with a Ipad and you are away. IIRC I think you must use an I-thing to control them - no Android option?

They’re Roon-ready, aren’t they? If you can run the Roon app I assume you can control them on Android? I use the Roon app on Apple devices and a Kindle Fire.

I'm interested in the KEF LSXs for my small listening room. They look ace and they're truly wireless. I wish they didn't have the cloth covering though - I think it looks daft.

I wish they’d do grill covers of some sort. I have two kids under 4 in the house. The tangerine wave guide tweeter screams POKE ME

Hi Gassor, I've had a pair of these for about eighteen months now. They're on a pair of very sturdy Kudos stands and I also use a Rel T5 sub. Before owning them I had been on the usual very expensive but enjoyable merry-go-round with amps and speakers. I recently started to get 'the itch' again but struggled to justify my own urges as I couldn't find any areas which I thought were really problematic and know that I would end up kicking myself as I simply don't have the sort of money to improve on them via the separates route.

Hi Gassor, I've had a pair of these for about eighteen months now. They're on a pair of very sturdy Kudos stands and I also use a Rel T5 sub. Before owning them I had been on the usual very expensive but enjoyable merry-go-round with amps and speakers. I recently started to get 'the itch' again but struggled to justify my own urges as I couldn't find any areas which I thought were really problematic and know that I would end up kicking myself as I simply don't have the sort of money to improve on them via the separates route.

They appeal to me as it would do away with all the hypothetical matching with cables, dacs and amps. I also get the itch and start imagining something desperately needs changing and spend ages working out the best alternatives. There are better things to do.

Experience has taught me that in general 'happiness is not having want you want, but wanting what you have' unless dear wife gets on her high horse.

They’re Roon-ready, aren’t they? If you can run the Roon app I assume you can control them on Android? I use the Roon app on Apple devices and a Kindle Fire.

They are Roon ready - but Roon may not control all the set up features of the speakers. For that you need the KEF app - and going to the KEF website confirms that there is both an Android and IOS version for this purpose. Roon Ready 'just' means that Roon will find and recognise them on the network.

advertisement

Back