advertisement

Kef KM1 in need of repair.

So, after a week with weights piled on it, the curvy grille is almost flat.

I think it's probably flat enough to work without problems, but I'm going to give it another week and try to get it perfect.

In the meantime, I've just come back from paying the bass cabs a visit.

I think we're very nearly there with the B300s realigning themselves.

There's only rub now at the extremes of travel - well past the +/- 6mm that I think the linear excursion's specified at.

I'm going to give it a little longer though. Whilst patience isn't one of my strongest virtues, I'm aware that rushing things and scraping a voice coil to death will bring endless pain to the project.

With the advent of warmer weather, I've managed to convince myself that the last bit of gravity-assisted voice-coil realignment will happen sooner rather than later (I don't know how temperature sensitive the surround is, but I reckon there's some effect). The storage unit is freezing cold, even today when it's warm outside, but this will change in the coming weeks and hopefully help things along.

The end is in sight.

What with Martin joining in and posting those lovely pics, this thread continues to get better!

Having never seen a pair before, it was helpful to see a person for scale, even though the abnormally tall Dave (?!) might be misleading? …!
Yes Dave was comfortably over 6 foot, I'm 5'11 so there's a sort-of size comparison! What the picture doesn't convey is the weight - getting them into the upstairs dem room was epic!
BTW I haven't cropped the me-and-Dave pic - it was taken on a 35mm camera on a timer, and my aim was obviously off - these were the days when you only found out what the picture was like when the prints came back from the chemists.....

the abnormally tall ?Dave was over 6 foot, I'm 5'11 - BTW our heads are cut off not for any privacy reasons - but because the pics were taken on an old 35mm SLR with a mechanical timer - those were the days when you didn't get to see the picture until the prints came back from the chemist!

I can't wait to hear Paul's reaction when he hears them for the first time......

Off topic, but curiosity had me googling to see what a new equivalent of KM1s might cost. Nearest I could find were the PMC QB1As. £95k a pair inc VAT.

Last edited:
Edit: mods @Tony L and @Nic Robinson & @Paul Marchant should this thread be moved to the DIY room before it gets pruned?

It'd be a shame for it to be lost forever. There are some links and information I've added which would possibly help someone else if they too were trying to revitalise a pair of KM1s. I've no objection to it being moved.

This has been one of the best (and very important) threads on the entire forum for a long time.

It would be absolutely criminal for it to disappear, while lesser witterings about things like cables remain unscathed. :p

advertisement

Back