advertisement

Kef Coda II tweeter

Thanks guys. I don't mind buying the tweets and adding a resistor if that's what it takes but I'm not interested in anything more involved. I'm not going to make any money on these, just saving them from the wheelie, but I'm not losing money on them or investing a lot of time. They're not worth it.
Ok, I see two path of least resistance options here (yes, it's a pun); one involves the replacement voice coil/dome assemblies (as linked to by @colasblue above); the other being drop-in replacement tweeters.
  1. From Falcon Acoustics: "Audax RW025AO APPC 2 with opposing terminals"; these are replacement voice coil/dome assemblies, however it would be best to ask if these are compatible with Audax HD100D25BAHR first, as they are listed as being for HD12X9D25, HD12X8D25 (OEM) - £27.94 each.
  2. From Falcon Acoustics: "AUDAX TW025A0 APPC2 - DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR HD100D25 with opposing terminals" - £39.72 each.

Ok, I see two path of least resistance options here...

Neither of these are sensible options as they both cost more than the speakers are worth. I don't have any emotional attachment to these things, I got them with a bunch of other stuff I bought.

Got the replacement tweeters. Fit fine and seem well made. Much bigger magnets than the coronals.

As expected, they do sound too bright. given The 6db difference in sensitivity, what might be a sensible value of resistor to try to pad them down a bit?

Also, the original tweeter domes are doped, looks like some kind of bitumen paint. The new ones are not. I'm wondering if it might be worth a shot applying damping to the new tweeters! Might wreck them but might make them match the old ones more closely. Stupidity?

By the way, you want to see the really thin wire used inside these old Kefs!

what might be a sensible value of resistor to try to pad them down a bit?

Also, the original tweeter domes are doped, looks like some kind of bitumen paint. The new ones are not. I'm wondering if it might be worth a shot applying damping to the new tweeters! Might wreck them but might make them match the old ones more closely. Stupidity?

By the way, you want to see the really thin wire used inside these old Kefs!

Finding the right value resistor could end up being very time-consuming and expensive. I'd use L-Pads - Monacor LP-100-8

I wouldn't bother damping the tweeters. It'll most likely make them sound worse.

As expected, they do sound too bright. given The 6db difference in sensitivity, what might be a sensible value of resistor to try to pad them down a bit?

If L-Pads aren't in budget... I'm not sure what you might have around in your parts box, but in the absence of any measurements, knowing that the sensitivity is too high and it's a 4 Ohm nominal unit where an 8 Ohm one had been, I'd probably aim for something like 3.9 Ohms and see where it got me. You could of course get one L-Pad and use it to work out what value/values you want, but if the aim is not to spend much money ...

Finding the right value resistor could end up being very time-consuming and expensive. I'd use L-Pads - Monacor LP-100-8

I don't want to spend any more money. I'll sell the speakers for not much more than the tweeters cost. I have lots of resistors in the house. It doesn't need to be perfect, just in the ball park so they sound ok.

I'm not sure what you might have around in your parts box, but in the absence of any measurements, knowing that the sensitivity is too high and it's a 4 Ohm nominal unit where an 8 Ohm one had been, I'd probably aim for something like 3.9 Ohms and see where it got me.

The original was 8 Ohm. These ones are supposed to be as well but they measure about 5.5.

Tried a few different values and settled on 2.2 Ohm. Slightly on the bright side but I figured they'll probably be getting use with the grilles on and shoved in a corner. It makes you realize it such a matter of taste. The speakers sound different enough with a couple of Ohms difference on the tweeter that you could easily love or dismiss either depending on what you wanted.

Quite impressed with these tweeters for £12. Nothing wrong with them, they sound absolutely fine. A tidy visual match too. Happy.

Thanks for the advice :0)

advertisement

Back