advertisement

Keb' Mo' or is that Keb'Mo ?

cliffpatte

Speed camera anarchist
I've reached the letter K in my ripping through EAC into FLAC, and just played this album for the first time:

Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues - Keb' Mo'

And I have to say this is one of the finest recordings I have ever heard. Maybe its the simple arrangement of drum, bass, steel guitar and keyboard with Keb Mo's sublime baritone blues vocals.

I have had one Keb Mo album for some time on CD (Just Like You) and always thought it was OK, but I recently acquired the MSPTBKM CD and the one called Keep it Simple (with the Sony XCP software on it, thanks Sony) and they are both good recordings.

Last year at the Heathrow show some exhibitor was playing a kind of Keb' Mo' unplugged DVD which you just cannot get in the UK, which is a shame, because he looks pretty darn'd good live.

Anyone else into Keb Mo ?

Yes indeed.

Fantastic vocalist and guitarist. My first exposure to him was when I was lucky enough to see him supporting BB King in Brighton a few years back. I rushed out and bought a couple of his albums on the strength of that and wasn't dissappointed.

I always wondered whether to file him under K or M! He picked up this stage name from the way people pronounced his name back in Compton, California (Kevin Moore) so I tend towards M.
Similar problem with Memphis Slim and Howlin' Wolf.

If you like Keb Mo, then another guy worth checking out is Corey Harris. He presented one of the Martin Scorsese programs. Corey plays straight Delta Blues acoustically, and also some more widely influenced stuff with his band 5x5 (five by five). The sound is blues based with heavy african/reggae and even Calypso influences.

Regards,
Steve.

Me too, the self titled album popped through the letter box this morning. I heard it for the first time a the Bristol show - stunning music and sound.

I'll go on record as a "nay" vote. Talented guy, strong voice, good player, well recorded, but ultimately leaves me yawning. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is. The Norah Jones of the blues. Seems like a swell guy, though, and his live shows are entertaining.

I'll agree with you K, although I have not seen him live. Probably deserves better material.

Well there you go K and Rod just prove how subjective our hobby is, subjective in terms of both the hardware and software.

advertisement

Back