advertisement

Kan cabinet refurb

spamnap

pfm Member
Can anyone offer any info re Kan refinishing. The reason I ask is because I believe the early Kans were made of plywood as opposed to MDF or chipboard. Usually veneer is reasonably thick so less risky to sand, not sure how much thickness is on ply layers. Has anyone done this and can offer advice? Thanks

The teak veneer is thick enough to sand, I’ve done a later mk1 pair. As always care and attention, especially near the edges, they come up nicely.

I think I confused myself a little about the ply cabs but obviously they will still have veneer on lol, even if they are ply.
Recently stripped a pair of Heybrook HB3s and gave them a few coats of Danish Oil, was extremely pleased with the finish.

Unless the veneer is chipped or damaged, stripping and refinishing should present no difficulties. But unless you're very confident of your skill, I would not use a power sander, and I would use a good sanding block, to avoid rounding over and/or going through the thickness of the veneer at edges and corners.

BugBear

I have seen a lot of Kans and have several pair-some early, yet I have never seen the very rare first edition Kans that were made from plywood. Those would be very rare. That said, my work in restoring antiques has taught me that sanding can usually be avoided. I avoid sanding if at all possible.

Thanks Tom, I suppose in the end it depends on the severity of the damage. I Am gonna try a few other methods on some older worthless speakers and see what
that teaches me.

advertisement

Back