advertisement

Just unboxed the Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge - Could use some advice

I’m seeing around the forums that many LS3/5a fans don’t love blu-tac all that much for it’s effect on the sound signature :confused:

I’m seeing around the forums that many LS3/5a fans don’t love blu-tac all that much for it’s effect on the sound signature :confused:
Well, for what it is worth, it works for me...

I also have small rice grain size pieces under the corners of my Rogers BBC Studio Monitors which is the interface to some Foundation Stands T 10/S...

Last edited:
I just placed the Silent Angel S28 between the speakers and top plate of the Skylan stands. This solved the problem. Bass boom is gone, no truncated sound and the soundstage is once again expansive. The LS3/5a really do need to breathe, like they say. Pucks raises them 1/2”. I could only imagine what an open frame stand would do! I like the wood/MDF though of the Skylans. I have it in my head that this why the highs cleaned up and don’t glare like they did on the metal stand in my tiny room. Who knows. For now I’m good, but one day I’ll try open frames, just to see.

Thanks everyone for all your help and input. Now, I shall escape into this amazing sound field that is, the LS3/5a.

Just an update for anyone along for the ride on my quest. I’ve had a couple PMs going so I know there are a couple. As it turns out, I’m not getting along with the Skylan stands. Upon listening to more usual material and switching back to the cheap metal stands, it appears the Skylans suck the life out of the Falcons.

I’ll be ordering the QS104 open frame type from CD. I assume this will be the best for my situation, given my observations thus far.

Last edited:
I recently bought a pair of Graham LS3/5a's at a decent price. I have them on a pair of Solidsteel stands in the raw finish. Ideal size stands and the combination looks well balanced and asthetically pleasing (unlike when larger speakers are put on these stands). I already had the stands and had planned on getting Falcons in the Burr finish if I had found a pair at a good price. I reckoned it would be a great visual combination. My far cheaper pair of Grahams in cherry finish still look and sound great on these stands. I alternate depending on music/radio with Harbeth C7 40th anniversary and and enjoy both equally.

A thought for those using blu-tak, try fishing line, floss or cotton thread and take a cheese-wire approach to detatching the speakers from the stand. Once seperated the speakers can be placed upside down and remnant of tac can be rubbed off.

Actually they sound pretty good far out from room boundaries and if your nearish field to them with a sub. Not realistic perhaps for domestic harmony but could be moved out of the way outwith listening sessions.

Q5oGR3g.jpg

U7PXAwn.jpg

Quick and dirty comparison of Falcon LS3/5as with HLP3 ESRs a few years ago.

And… What did you find, sir?
I think the thread might still be viewable- it was originally about the Spendor S3/5R, R2 and HLP3ESR. The Falcons got my vote but if the budget didn’t rise to them then the Spendors got my vote At about half the cost s/h.The Harbeths are beautifully made and engineered, sound good but their price was too close to the LS3/5as for comfort. In truth I don’t think anyone would be short changed by any of them. It’s a matter more of budget and taste.

Just an update for anyone along for the ride on my quest. I’ve had a couple PMs going so I know there are a couple. As it turns out, I’m not getting along with the Skylan stands. Upon listening to more usual material and switching back to the cheap metal stands, it appears the Skylans suck the life out of the Falcons.

I’ll be ordering the QS104 open frame type from CD. I assume this will be the best for my situation, given my observations thus far.

Try taking some of the filler out of the Skylans, this worked well for me when l had Skylans under my Harbeths, also do try Isoacoustics Mini Pucks between speaker top plate and bottom of the speaker, they done wonders under my Tablette 10 and Audionote AN/K.

The Custom Design QS104 stands arrived. Custom height to 26” for my ear height. I filled them with approx 5oz per post of their inert filler. Beautiful quality stands! Impressive fit and finish.

These open frame stands have a massive impact on the sound. It’s been a few weeks and I’ve gotten used to the sound of the Skylans while these CD stands were being made.

The Skylans have an emphasis on bass but can bloat. They have what I can only describe as a quiet more tuned in sound. Actually not bad at all.

The open frame stands highlight the highs and have a much more open, quick and livelier sound. The difference would be similar to pulling the speakers out from the front wall a little more.

I like both presentations but feel the open frame stand allows a more truthful and accurate sound. While the Skylans color the bottom end a bit, probably loading on that flat top plate, even though raised a little with footers.

All in, I’m very happy with the Custom Design Stands and feel this quest is over. Time to just enjoy now. It’s been a nice learning experience and I am surprised how much stands can alter the sound.

That's really interesting to read about the height. I've never heard of that. My speakers stands are 600mm placed on a granite board on wooden cones. Might ditch the plinth to experiment.

That's really interesting to read about the height. I've never heard of that. My speakers stands are 600mm placed on a granite board on wooden cones. Might ditch the plinth to experiment.

Speaker height impacts the frequency response in two ways:

Woofer-to-floor and woofer-to-listener distances affect the floor-bounce cancellation frequency.
This cancellation frequency can be calculated in the link below:

https://mehlau.net/audio/floorbounce/

Speakers with 2 or more woofers will 'compensate' for this cancellation somewhat.

All speakers have an optimal vertical listening axis (where tweeter and mid/midwoofer best integrate), visible in Stereophile's measurements and often referred to by John Atkinson in his comments, for example:

050121-Falconfig07.jpg

Fig.7 Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, vertical response family at 50",
normalized to response on tweeter axis, from back to front:
differences in response 45–5° above axis, reference response,
differences in response 5–45° below axis.

In the vertical plane (fig.7), a suckout in the crossover region develops more than 10° above and 5° below the tweeter axis. Falcon recommends using 24" stands with the LS3/5a, which will place the tweeter 35.5" from the floor—just below the height of an average listener's ears. Don't listen to the Falcons in a chair that's too high or use stands that are much taller or shorter than 24".

https://www.stereophile.com/content/falcon-gold-badge-ls35a-loudspeaker-measurements

The axis issue can be easily solved by tilting the speakers backwards or forwards through an adjustment of the spikes, putting a platform under the stand or base, changing seat height or changing stand height.

advertisement

Back