advertisement

Just had B&W 800D3 Vs 800D3 Home demo. Anyone interested?

music4nusic

pfm Member
In contemplating an upgrade to my B&W 802 D2's, Ive just had the 802 D3s and 800 D2's performing in my home against my existing speakers. I get the impression that not many folks on here are particularly into B&W's and maybe for very valid and justifiable reasons. However, the new range may well be changing things dramatically for us all. So if there is anyone here interested just pop a response and Ill give you my thoughts. Worth bearing in mind that although I have been a B&W fan for many years and having had most of the models in the line up way back to the CDM9's I am also not without some critical views of B&W.

Yes, please do post your findings. I'm not personally interested in buying a pair of B&W's but it's always interesting to read fellow enthusiasts views :).

I had 800d - won't be going there again. Generally the older ones seem to sound better - still have a nice pair of 805 Sigs with the tiger eye finish which are OK. Shame about the big ones - they should sound good given the ingredients but somehow don't. They seem at their best when playing much louder than I care to in a domestic environment and they need lots of power. Prices are now much inflated and the last pair I saw weren't as well built as when they had Scandinavian cabs, IIRC.

I had 800d - won't be going there again. Generally the older ones seem to sound better - still have a nice pair of 805 Sigs with the tiger eye finish which are OK. Shame about the big ones - they should sound good given the ingredients but somehow don't. They seem at their best when playing much louder than I care to in a domestic environment and they need lots of power. Prices are now much inflated and the last pair I saw weren't as well built as when they had Scandinavian cabs, IIRC.

So if you have already heard the new D3 series and your not interested what is the point of your reply? Those people who are interested would perhaps be the most relevant responses to this post.

Correction to my initial post:

"Ive just had the 802 D3s and 800 D3's performing in my home against my existing speakers"

Yes, interested to hear your thoughts. I had a pair of N803's about 14 years ago, nice midrange.
Heard the N801's and loved them. I'd like a pair but don't have the room.

Certainly interested to hear your opinion - i'm kind of wondering whether you want specific questions or areas to cover?

My experiences of B&W aren't great - I spent some time listening to a friends pair of pre-diamond 800s (Nautilus 800?) driven by some Bryston amps. I seem to remember them sounding very full and somewhat dull, but i've subsequently realised that all I was really doing was considering how different they sounded than my existing speakers at the time, rather than wondering if they were correct, and my speakers were wrong...

So, if I were to ask, i'd be interested in how you've found them with positioning, easy to live with etc, and whether the yellow drivers annoy you as much as they annoyed me at the time (too bling for my taste) :)

I'd be interested to read your thoughts.

Then again, I'm still sad there's no 801D3. Good though the others undoubtedly are, you can't beat a 15-incher!

Here it comes guys....rushed together and much more to offer if you want to hear it....hope this poses some interesting responses. All i can say is I am sure like all speakers they will be room dependent ......stand by..........

So here goes:

I’ve been the fortunate or unfortunate (depending on your take on B&W) to have been the owner of most of the ranges for many years now. Personally, I have always really enjoyed some elements of the B&W signature sound stage that I have only ever been able to find in this brand and yet, and here is the “BUT”, I felt there have always been some critical elements always failing the overall presentation. Typically, in the 800 range the major criticism has been sensitivity to power matching. For me I’ve never ever found this an issue(oddly), but what I have always questioned is the coloration possibly due to cabinet design (among other things I agree), and most of all the Kevlar mid-range driver has always been IMO, tending to the brittle. I have made significant improvements to these issues by mounting them upon granite blocks and very careful positioning. That said, these moves only counter the issues in part and have never removed them. So those are my main criticisms of the B&W big boys in recent years and apply to my current 802 D2’s although I have received a huge amount of pleasure from them with the caveat above which has added frustration to my experience but not destroyed my desire for the signature sound.
With the introduction of the D3 range and the massive changes in design philosophy and material integration, I was intrigued as I was also considering a brand change due to my previous frustrations and yet after so many years of B&W; a brand change seemed like a scary option. Also, any upgrade would be limited by size, as the layout of my room is not ideal and I must also live in it (how I wish things were different). In my quest for a replacement the closest I have come to chucking in the towel on B&W are Ushers (the big ones) but sadly they are just way too impractical for my room. So, I was very thankful to be offered a home demo of the new D3 802 and 800.

I must own up here to confessing that I was not convinced B&W would be able to break away from those elements I have been critical of in the past and what has inspired my search to change. In some respects, they have excelled and in some I feel they have committed a bit of a boo boo…so let’s get to it:

I had my 802 D2’s playing for some time before we made the switch to the 802 D3. This was the one I was most interested in making a direct comparison to as a direct replacement to my D2 version. Starting with the low frequencies, much much cleaner, timing is vastly improved and I feel that this gave me the impression that they were lean on the base. That said, when required oh my god could they go deep, it just wasn’t apparent all the time. In comparison, I was instantly critical of this and I felt somewhat disappointed by the base in general terms as it just felt lean in a general presentation and yet very capable when really needed. (Just not sure it was meant to be that way remembering that B&W claim the 802 D3 now beats the 800 D2). The mid-range is where this speaker has completely changed its clothing! In direct comparison to my D2 (and most others I have heard) the mid-range vocals are effortless, amazingly real, incredibly accurate, hugely open with a sound stage completely in unison with the rest of the whole damned thing! I could go on talking about the mid-range until you poured petrol over me and ignited me, but really it is an amazing step forward for B&W and I think quite honestly it needed to be. Realism is the key word to what they have achieved with the new driver and without any of the previous pitfalls.
The tweeter is claimed to be the only common part between the old and the new, but this puzzled me. Yes, it looks the same and it may well be the same, but it sounded different….so why? I have no idea, it just wasn’t quite so in your face and dynamic as with my 802’s. It is still very nice indeed and yes it’s all there just not quite as dominating I felt.

Overall, I started to grow accustomed to the different base presentation, it is very absent of any cabinet influences and it is very clean and perhaps I was missing that from my D2’s? Is it a replacement for the D2, for me I would say no but purely because my room is quite large and I really missed the support of the base in general terms although I concede it is all there when the track beefs things up a little. I will return to this aspect later and after the 800 D3 has been scrutinised.

So, I was direct and open with the dealer about my impressions and that the 802 wasn’t on my shopping list now. “Just wait” he said. I didn’t want to wait really, I felt the 802 D3 should have been delivering more and it wasn’t. But then came the 800. Dear lord! The 800 does not seem like the usual step between 802 to 800. In fact, in comparative terms the 802 should be the 803. The 800 is absolutely staggering! Look, it has the same tweeter and the same mid-range drivers, but in its own box even these 2 elements seems improved over the 802! How can that be???? Please someone out there offer a possible explanation. The base…. equally controlled, fast, clean, superb timing, slam my god could it when it was required…. but overall there remained a greater impression of base extension during the general presentation that the 802 lacked in my opinion. It is captivating, the sound stage just hangs over you and the synergy of the 3 elements of driver is just correct. I don’t know what more to say? Well, I’ve just decided that the 802 means nothing in the grand scheme of things and this I feel is going to be the next B&W Achilles heel. But the 800 is so good I’ve chucked out my girlfriend and I’ve ordered them.

I think it is also worth mentioning that I tried different amp configurations in an attempt to determine the drive requirements for these speakers. I used 2 MF M8-700 mono blocks in stereo. Absolutely no problem with that whatsoever and where I was bi-amping my current D2’s (so halving the power). Then I tried a single MF AMS 50 dual mono pure class A and similarly no problem but I preferred the M8s.

In short; the 802 might suite a smaller room to mine but I still remain concerned that current 802 owners will expect it to do much more and be out of range in price to buy upgrade to the 800 so B&W may have lost some custom there. The 800 (if one can afford it) is the boll…cks! B&W have not only cured the coloration of the base but made it tight, clean, realistic, controlled and effing exciting. It’s there and its even more there when it is demanded of it yet it does not bloom and it does not stray off path at all! The mid-range has not only corrected the critics of the Kevlar but it has now excelled in terms of realism, air, dynamics, grace my god it has grace and it balances within the rest of it all perfectly. The tweeter is just a little less of what it was (for some strange reason…help me fathom this one please). Is it value for money…who cares I’m single now and the choice was easy so guys if anyone’s is interested, there’s a brunette on the market and do I care!

oh yes I am very interested . I recently asked my dealer about the 800 series having bought one before and they don`t have them currently . twice I tried at Bristol show but no success although I did hear some mf and 802 once

@music4music is that it now until you croak? Game over?

Im not sure that the game will ever end...but that said, the new 800 really does cure the weaknesses i felt the 802 D2 was a victim of. However, I would not be buying the 800 D3 if it was only for those improvements mentioned; it is a completely different voiced speaker. It is never going to make a bad recording sound good, in fact it will reveal every flaw to be found. The amazing thing i found was that in that brief few hours of listening to it, I heard things in tracks I had never heard before. Suddenly my amps were breathing without gasping, just steadily delivering without effort, without breaking a sweat...sound flows from these speakers and it all seems to be delivered with precision (in terms of time) and reality on mass.

I was up for a complete change to my 802 D2s and had resigned myself for a break away from B&W in order to achieve a serious upgrade and to dispense with the frustrations of years gone by. To the ear the new range is equivalent to a brand change and blind I would never be able to identify these new speakers as B&W's. I have heard quite a lot of 20k plus speakers and the biggest dilemma was being able to establish the security of making such a purchase with the confidence of hearing each in my room in my system without having to fork out £350 a listen, try 5 brands and already your going on adding 2K to your eventual purchase and it was just getting silly. No brand I tried instantly stuck out to me and screamed at me "I'm the baby for your system!" Some were good, great in fact but there was always the thought "I know I'll miss something about the B&W. Was that sacrifice worthy of satisfying the gaps in the D2 range? I don't think so, and I would have probably also remained sitting tight on my 802 D2's. I would be so bold as to say that if your considering moving from your 800 D2's to the new 802 you wont do it...BUT, and its a big BUT, i would warn you against hearing the new 800's unless you are prepared to own them or willing to think about them every time you turn on your system!

For upwards of £20K I expect better styling/looks than the current model. I think those that Fox/Claire has are much nicer on the eye. Not really important as I don't have £20K to spend on speakers.

For upwards of £20K I expect better styling/looks than the current model. I think those that Fox/Claire has are much nicer on the eye. Not really important as I don't have £20K to spend on speakers.

Ahhh indeed ...."beauty is in the eye of the beholder" comes to mind. I think they look beautiful in comparison to the hunched D2's.

Well the styling for both pairs is very, how shall I put it, masculine maybe? It probably had to appeal to a certain footballer/billionaire type as realistically there aren't many people who are in the position to splurge that much cash on a pair of speakers. Assuming they sell in quantity, they probably have a good idea what they are doing.

Claire, I always thought ditching them would have been a mistake. You went through a period of switching around a bit, and I think slowing down is the best advice, as it takes serious time to appreciate stuff like this. I do still lust after your old ATC setup, as it's something i've not had the space or time to explore. One day maybe...

advertisement

Back