advertisement

[WTD] Just-better-than-basic Optical cable

loz_the_guru

pfm Member
My current £1 from fleabay about ten years ago job seems to be limited to 96khz, so hoping someone has a slightly more solid one for around £10?

Thanks both, I have read mixed things. Some places seem to suggest the limit is 96/24 but the optical input on my DAC supports up to 192/24 according to the manual?

If you are using a standard Toslink connection then 96Khz is usually a system limitation, especially in the Apple world. If you are using something something else then rates could be higher. Still not likely to be the optical cable though...that in itself has plenty of capacity for more. Its the kit either end that is where the limitation is.

Go online and as you see you face a world of confliction and complication! Or stick to the manuals of your hardware! If your DAC says it supports 192/24 then I am sure it does. Now look to your source or your files!

Thanks all, so the chain of command is Tidal > Topping D10s > Hugo TT > amp. Tidal plays a range of bitrates up to 192/24, and the display on both the Topping and the Chord changes accordingly.

However when I play a track that is 192/24, the topping display updates but the Chord says no input. I assume the poor quality of my cable was to blame...

The Chord TT usb driver with windows 11 is appalling. Requires constant unplugging and resetting. For a £0000s bit of kit it's bonkers bad.

You’ll have to help me out I don’t understand why you have two dacs in the chain.

what is the source?

Are you trying to use exotic usb cables? I don’t think there is an issue with chords drivers.

you have more than need going on in the equation it would seem. USB would be your best bet, direct to the chord.

what are you playing, Roon, iriver, etc?

Tidal.

I've seen the Chord/Windows 11 problem mentioned a few places online. It's definitely not just me. Funny as I had no issue with the original TT, but the TT2 has problems regularly.

No fancy USB cable and I've tried a couple.

I use a dedicated pc running Linux, you can also run tidal through various os’es for raspberry pi, might be worth a try?

Alas i'm not particularly technically minded. I'd also still have the problem of the TT being recognized by whichever Pi OS I plugged it into, which i'm not particularly sure of...

I have 1m BlueRigger optical cable I bought new. It's still in packaging. You can have it FOC if want it as I have no use for it and its been in my drawer for ages.

Send me a PM if so, and I'm heading to post office tomorrow anyway and can post to you then.

advertisement

Back