advertisement

JRiver Media Centre 17

Milan

pfm Member
I have JR17 running on a laptop.

For a while I have been using a Behringer UCA 202 as a converter from USB to Optical then through a Fiio D3 into my integrated amp. This has been working well for a few weeks.

Recently I acquired a Matrix Audio USB/SPDIF converter and connected this via a short coax lead to the D3. I tried a few settings and got no sound, inclding ensuring the switch on the D3 was selected correctly. The PC recognised the converter as "Speakers: Matrix Audio" but no sound.

Frustrated, I restored the optical and also got nothing. Now I am confused!

I went through a host of settings and still nothing. I checked that the amp is working. Even the Behringer direct (not through the D3) did not work.

At one stage I plugged in a HDMI lead but that is no longer connected.

I can only deduce that I need to reset something in JR but have no idea what now.

Any of you JR users have any helpful advice?

Yes. I selected "Speakers: Matrix Audio". The only sound I get out of all the settings is through the built in speakers.

At one stage windows sounds would work but not output from JR.

Thats not the right settings...

Try in Jriver, got to: tools/options/audio/audio output/output mode.
Select WASAPI event style. The in the output mode settings, choose 'device' and in the pull down you should see 'Matrix Audio' - If the driver is installed correctly.

I tried that and it did not work (that was the setting I used before). It states that playback could not be started using wasapi event style format 44.1htz 16bit 2ch. Your hardware may not support this output format.

Puzzled!

I suggest the JRiver forum where there are many real experts.

Meanwhile, check the state of "Present 24 bit data in a 32 bit package" (or something like that) in playback options. If this is wrong it has the power to stop everything working.

I am going to be away through work for a couple of days so will try again either Thursday or Friday, depending on flights.

Keith, I may take you up on the offer, though I need to match time zones as I am in Australia.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I've managed to get it working with optical. I cannot get coax to work. More trials over the weekend!

I've managed to get it working with optical. I cannot get coax to work

Bearing in mind that JRiver doesn't know whether you have Optical, co-ax or wet spaghetti, that rather points at the hardware rather than a software configuration issue.

Bearing in mind that JRiver doesn't know whether you have Optical, co-ax or wet spaghetti, that rather points at the hardware rather than a software configuration issue.

Whch input do you use to connect the wet spaghetti and does it make a difference to the SQ if you use fresh or dry spaghetti? :D
Dave.

It may well be hardware. I am having an indirect dialogue with Fiio to see if they can help. Some hardware may not process the files in a certain format i.e. wasapi event style. Also the hardware works OK with optical and does show a 'lock' LED on coax but no sound.

Surely for sound quality you should use organic spaghetti!

advertisement

Back