advertisement

JPW SONATA SPEAKERS, ideas for longevity and sound quality improvement

Vintagebarry

Hello everybody, It's me Barry again!
I was wondering around the forums and saw many people who juggested there is room for improvements. My pair bought by my brother in his uni days almost 30 years ago, tweeters have been replaced twice because they very easily fail so they are shot! But still in place on cabs. The woffers are fine. He did s simple mod after reading hifi mags made the option for bi wireing. No crossover change just moved a couple of wires around. Yeah a slightly improved sound I think. So what can be done naw. I have s pair of small kenwood speakers from a little middy system. Plastic front baffle 2 way ported. Sound all right these are available for anything to help out with the JPW.

Hello everybody, It's me Barry again!
I was wondering around the forums and saw many people who juggested there is room for improvements. My pair bought by my brother in his uni days almost 30 years ago, tweeters have been replaced twice because they very easily fail so they are shot! But still in place on cabs. The woffers are fine. He did s simple mod after reading hifi mags made the option for bi wireing. No crossover change just moved a couple of wires around. Yeah a slightly improved sound I think. So what can be done naw. I have s pair of small kenwood speakers from a little middy system. Plastic front baffle 2 way ported. Sound all right these are available for anything to help out with the JPW.

The best way to improve the sound of your Sonatas is to get them back to original spec.
You could eventually add some bitumen sheets to the inside of the cabinet side, top and bottom walls to reduce resonances but the cabinets are so small that resonances should not really be a problem anyway.

You can improve on the sound of the Sonatas by buying better speakers.

Thanks, iv got better speakers, much better. The bitumen sheets ok thanks for that. I don't wanna go buying anything for them just making use of what I got, any household material you can think of. I noticed the cables inside the cab my brother changed for thick speaker cable. Is that good or bad? The cone tweeter from the kenwood I can make fit, its got good high tone so I will try that.
The best way to improve the sound of your Sonatas is to get them back to original spec.
You could eventually add some bitumen sheets to the inside of the cabinet side, top and bottom walls to reduce resonances but the cabinets are so small that resonances should not really be a problem anyway.

You can improve on the sound of the Sonatas by buying better speakers.

The cone tweeter from the kenwood I can make fit, its got good high tone so I will try that.
It will work (or you may end up with burned Kenwood tweeters), but only by a very slim chance will it sound good.
With one or two exceptions tweeters are not interchangeable, you'll have to redo the crossover.

It will work (or you may end up with burned Kenwood tweeters), but only by a very slim chance will it sound good.
With one or two exceptions tweeters are not interchangeable, you'll have to redo the crossover.
Its a resistor 2.7 I can see from the kenwood and in the JPW is more of a proper crossover more complex. I will give it a go anyway. Dampening material is more or less better. And where to fill the material? Arround the sides or back or all over at what density loose or packed? Thanks

I admit to really liking the Sonatas. I have several pairs, and have two pairs of JPW speakers in my partner's studio (ceramics, not sound!). The bass/midrange units have paper cones, which I really like, the tweeter is not so hot. But the easiest thing to do it put some filling in the box, mine have/had very little.

I admit to really liking the Sonatas. I have several pairs, and have two pairs of JPW speakers in my partner's studio (ceramics, not sound!). The bass/midrange units have paper cones, which I really like, the tweeter is not so hot. But the easiest thing to do it put some filling in the box, mine have/had very little.
Ok just around the sides and back then. Not pack it in densely is that what your saying? I think the tweeter will be fine, im not aiming for giant killer speakers just something nice.

It was reading posts that you commented on regarding this exact topic, The Sonatas. .

Results
Thay work, first time had sound through them for say 20 years dunno. Got some sort of rattle inside so will have to tie everything down. Maybe I should send the tweeter back home to its original cab. Could I leave this hole for the tweeter in the JPW open, get some plumbing plastic 2in pipe plug it in so it goes from the front opening to the back of the cab then down via corner push fit to the bottom and then take a corner towards the front for about 2in and done. .

I can't recommend anything in exact terms, especially as 'speakers are so personal. And I don't know which materials would suit the Sonatas best, again, a rather personal thing. But I can say that I usually listen with £600 worth of amplifiers into Usher floor standers, which provides a very acceptable sound. But they were bettered by Sonatas fed by cheap class D amplifiers! So in my case they were giant slayers. [I rather fancy alpaca wool for filling the Sonatas, but have not tested it yet!] One pro 'speaker manufacturer uses Alpaca wool for filling a midrange box (confirmed by the company).

I can't recommend anything in exact terms, especially as 'speakers are so personal. And I don't know which materials would suit the Sonatas best, again, a rather personal thing. But I can say that I usually listen with £600 worth of amplifiers into Usher floor standers, which provides a very acceptable sound. But they were bettered by Sonatas fed by cheap class D amplifiers! So in my case they were giant slayers. [I rather fancy alpaca wool for filling the Sonatas, but have not tested it yet!] One pro 'speaker manufacturer uses Alpaca wool for filling a midrange box (confirmed by the company).
Sounds expensive! Sonatas are laying around doing nothing wanted a purpose for them. .I had nothing to do so had s mess around. .we'll see doffo not chucking them out!

I was a collector of vintage hifi, got forced/nagged to sell it off. Started to add onto the equipment I kept naw adding bit by bit. ..personally best sound to source to listen to. Enjoyable and a comfortable. Unpredictable also.

You can have them if you like. .swap me something for them?

I've just read your interaction with the rude Doc and was very impressed with how calm you handled it.
His ignorance was more obvious when he was cornered, as was his rudeness...

I've just read your interaction with the rude Doc and was very impressed with how calm you handled it.
His ignorance was more obvious when he was cornered, as was his rudeness...
Thanks, all he spouted was negative and suggested nothing positive at all.
Came across quite condescending, assuming I knew nothing at all regarding hifi.
So the Sonatas im going leave them how they were, I spent a couple of hours messing around with the speakers and moving other bits of hifi arround.

Hopefully I should have 2 new/old village items to confirm and hsppy days ahead.
Thanks for your input Helen.

advertisement

Back