advertisement

Joy Division

Rhino

I recently picked up the Joy Division box set and have really enjoyed it. Only one problem - it ain't vinyl!

I would like to get some JD on vinyl and was wondering what is recommended to go along with ""Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer"?

Also, it seems pretty obvious to me that Martin Hannett was very instrumental to the Joy Division sound. Is there anyone else out there that he was involved with that should be considered essential listening?

Thanks for the help!

Hi Rhino - I recently bought the JD double vinyl live album - Les Baines Douche which has most of their stuff on it and captures the passion of most of their music . The first and better album was recorded in Paris while the second slab of vinyl was recorded in Amsterdam . For an introduction to MH , why not track down the album "Here are The Young Men " which is a tribute to him - has JD , John Cooper Clarke, Durutti Column , etc so you could pursue any records which are on the sampler.
Happy listening
Glenda

I would like to get some JD on vinyl and was wondering what is recommended to go along with ""Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer"?

Definitely all the 12” singles, i.e. Earcom 2, Transmission, Love will tear us apart and Atmosphere (I’ve currently got a spare copy of Earcom 2 on eBay). Still is worth having for a few out takes and the absolutely stunning Dead Souls, the live set is patchy but interesting. Original factory vinyl is vastly superior to the CDs sound wise, Unknown Pleasures and Atmosphere in particular sound stunning.

Other real Hannett classics include the first two Durutti Column albums, the first A Certain Ratio album plus the Blown Away and Shack Up 12” singles, Magazine’s Correct use of soap and Section 25’s Always now.

Tony.

If you can find a copy of Still, it has one very good LP of the main stuff that wasn't on Closer or Unknown Pleasures plus a pretty dodgy live LP. I still have mine and the original LPs. There are some decent live recordings floating about on the net at the moment as well.

forget "a certain ratio" are shit however......................

I believe my mates brother was their manager for a millisecond in the Factory days, so he's got some of their stuff.........

Howe'er it was shit when I was 17, and hasn't improved with age ;)

Apologies to ACR fan(s??)

S

Edit - 24 hour party people is pretty interesting and amusing

advertisement

Back