advertisement

Joy Division pics

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
... but no oven gloves

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59010115

In 2002, music photographer Kevin Cummins was approached by a young woman after giving a talk in Manchester.

He didn't immediately recognise her, but it was Natalie Curtis - the daughter of Joy Division's late lead singer Ian.

She wanted to ask a simple question - did Cummins have any pictures of her dad smiling?
Cummins famously photographed Joy Division in the late 1970s, and his atmospheric pictures h
ave come to define the image of not just the band, but also of the post-punk music scene in industrial Manchester.

When the singer took his own life at the age of 23 in 1980, the famous black-and-white stills took on an even greater resonance. The images are now being published in Joy Division: Juvenes, an updated collection of his work with the band.

But despite Natalie's request for a memento of her dad's happier side, Cummins had purposefully given the images a sombre mood. He explains he "very rarely" took pictures that captured the band when they were all smiles.

"That wasn't the agenda. I wanted to photograph the band looking like serious young men," he says. "If they smiled on a picture, I generally didn't take it because I couldn't afford to waste any film.
"I wanted... to create an image for them that so that people would look at them and think they were perhaps a lot more cerebral than they were and to make them slightly unattainable."

Stunning photos and I'm sure they partly contribute to Ian Curtis having such mythical status now. Even more reason why I enjoyed Peter Hook's book describing him as just a young bloke in a band getting drunk and chasing women like the rest of them. What a waste his death was.

advertisement

Back