advertisement

Joseph Jarman

My world would have been a less interesting place without people like Jarman, AACM, Art Ensemble of Chicago et al. RIP.

(FWIW he also appears on Black Beings by Frank Lowe, see avatar)

I first heard the Art Ensemble when Channel 4 broadcast a live concert by them on its first or second night. This was very much my introduction to this type of jazz and moved me on from a fabulous but limited diet of Coltrane, Mingus and Davis. Not sure if the show is available anywhere but it was fabulous. At the time I was more taken by Lester Bowie than Jarman but have loved his playing on many records I've heard him on since then, mainly Art Ensemble related tbh. What other recording are recommended?

RIP

I have still to get mine but this Large ECM box set seem good value.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HGBR8YJ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Excellent review of ECM box set in Feb Wire, just out. I didn’t realise the set went beyond the Art Ensemble by some margin and includes other Art Ensemble and AACM related projects, including previously unreleased material.

I know a few others on PFM have invested in this set, maybe they would like to say more about it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I first heard the Art Ensemble when Channel 4 broadcast a live concert by them on its first or second night. This was very much my introduction to this type of jazz and moved me on from a fabulous but limited diet of Coltrane, Mingus and Davis. Not sure if the show is available anywhere but it was fabulous. At the time I was more taken by Lester Bowie than Jarman but have loved his playing on many records I've heard him on since then, mainly Art Ensemble related tbh. What other recording are recommended?

RIP
I should have noted in my suggestion of the box set above that Jarman left the Art Ensemble in 1993 to concentrate on Zen Buddhism and Aikido, he later became a priest. I think he did perform with them again after 2004, but not sure how often? Lester Bowie died of liver cancer in 1999. I think ECM was their record label only after 1980 so I assume no earlier material on this set? If this is the case it suits me as I what I have is nearly all before this on the French BYG label. It seems they also recorded lots on the Japanese DIW label in the 80's. It will be interesting to find out what all the AACM stuff on this set that Graham mentions is like.

They did three nights at Cafe Oto in October 2017 in a line up that included Roscoe Mitchell. It was a sell out. Did anyone see these concerts https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/events/aeoc-three-night-residency/

It will be interesting to find out what all the AACM stuff on this set that Graham mentions is like.

I may have mislead you regarding AACM material, but from what I can gather the set includes titles from former AACM members such as Leo Smith and Jack De Johnette. ECM appear to have cast the net widely over their own back catalogue and archives, the Wire review hinting that some of the links to the Art Ensemble are a bit tenuous. No bad thing IMO.

Here is the best overview of contents I can find:

https://jazztimes.com/news/21-cd-set-celebrates-art-ensemble-chicago-50th-anniversary/

My collection of AEOC includes "Urban Bushmen", "The Third Decade", "Naked" and "AEOC and Brass Fantasy Live in Tokyo"

advertisement

Back